Diamantschwarz Forever: An E30 Love Story. Re-shell & Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
    Negro, I brought up the clunk issue in the right rear while riding in the backseat the other day. Sounds like shock mount or possibly FUBAR swaybar end links. Could also be your axles or bad wheel bearing? Though a wheel bearing would typically make more of a whirring noise at speed. But hey, if you believe, we can achieve.
    LOL - well that was all before I drove through the apocalypse yesterday.

But in the aftermath, I guess you can say you told me so :(

Damage report:

- Destroyed one of my 17" Kopi Alpinas (rest are balanced out fine)
    - Need a CV axle. Gonna replace the other side as well.
    - Probably right RSM. I wanna replace them both as well.

Now I need some spare wheels. :-(

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      damage report:

- destroyed one of my 17" kopi alpinas (rest are balanced out fine)
      fuuuhhhhhhhh

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
        fuuuhhhhhhhh
        cuhhh

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed. But I have 5 Euroweaves up at my grandma's house in Alameda. 2 of them need new tires, as they were just *slightly* damaged by the accident, with a little ring carved out on both. Sucks. But oh well. The tricky part now will be getting them down to LA from the Bay, somehow. In the meantime...looking for a set of Bottlecaps with good tires

:(

P.s.: got those fancy Bosch Icon wiper blades tonight while ordering my new new CV assemblies. OMG.

SP

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Sina,
          Yes I have an e30 in the family still. It's also got Kopi's on them with brand new tires... One is a little more bent than usual but you could definitely make a full set again and have a spare (or two)...if you wanna trade.... I'd love to have a set of euro weaves 😎
          -Pierre
          1987 535is
          1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
            Sina,
            Yes I have an e30 in the family still. It's also got Kopi's on them with brand new tires... One is a little more bent than usual but you could definitely make a full set again and have a spare (or two)...if you wanna trade.... I'd love to have a set of euro weaves 😎
            Which is still in the family, yours or Cyrus'?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Sina,
              Yes I have an e30 in the family still. It's also got Kopi's on them with brand new tires... One is a little more bent than usual but you could definitely make a full set again and have a spare (or two)...if you wanna trade.... I'd love to have a set of euro weaves ��
              Haha yeah, that's your brother's right? I remember seeing pics of that back in the day.
              I actually have received a deposit on my old Kopi's, and will be taking them down to SD with me tomorrow evening on my bi-weekly visit to my gf.

I'm currently rolling around on bottle caps :hitler: until I bring the ol' girl up in February to the Bay and retrieve my Euroweaves.
              I think 15" is the magic number for these cars. That or 16", but I've only had 16" w/ adapters so I think I'd need another set of 16's, this time in proper E30 fitment.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Nice revival dude!
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                  Which is still in the family, yours or Cyrus'?
                  Oh yeah should've clarified... Sold my 318is locally to a gentleman in town and kept Cyrus 325is which has since been parked. Need to put some more street able camber plates and diagnose a hard cold start issue. Not enough time 😠
                  -Pierre
                  1987 535is
                  1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                    Nice revival dude!
                    Thank you sir! This will be a revival and then some. :)

Oh yeah should've clarified... Sold my 318is locally to a gentleman in town and kept Cyrus 325is which has since been parked. Need to put some more street able camber plates and diagnose a hard cold start issue. Not enough time 😠
                    Ah, bummed to hear the Red car is out of the stable, but glad it's still local.

I'm having a cold-start issue as well, but it's looking to be a bad chip.

Is yours chipped?

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

With all of the madness going on over the past few days throughout our nation, needed some E30-therapy to unwind and collect my thoughts. So I pursued that therapy with some good friends over the weekend.

First off, got a proper pair of brand new (manufactured) CV axles. Recommended by Ryan (phreshkid), these were like ~$120 after core refund, OEM fitment, and lifetime warranty.

Next, brand new E46 M3 rear shock mounts (RSMs). I managed to bust the passenger side one in that torrential downpour debacle last weekend, so just replaced both. Also, my leg.

Next, was diagnosing the clunk/thump from my front passenger side. This started out subtle last weekend after "pothole fest", then grew much louder until this morning. When Pouya (plotfi) and I pulled the passenger strut housing off, we quickly noticed that the strut insert was completely freed from the housing. I know a lot of people here simply tighten the strut collar nut by hand. After this, think I'm an advocate of properly torquing it to spec using the Bilstein wrench.

"While in there", my buddy Pouya happened to have a spare pair of fresh Sachs front strut mounts. So grabbed those off him and installed.

Real men remember to torque everything to spec. This is one of my many New Year Resolutions. Pictured: a very tired-looking me from last night's random festivities.

Finally, what I call the "sad look". Ratty Bottle-caps; Schwarz hood; OEM Primer RF hood and front valence; warped/cracked/faded front bumper; and faded Diamantschwarz. Cannot wait to get my EuroWeaves down from my family's house up in the Bay Area, finish collecting all of the exterior pieces I need, and send the damn thing off for some munch-needed body mending and paint.

Good night,
                      Sina

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

I'm glad you were able to quickly diagnose and fix all of the suspension/mechanical issues from last week. Despite the setback from last week, there's still a ton of great progress in this thread and you have a great e30.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                          I'm glad you were able to quickly diagnose and fix all of the suspension/mechanical issues from last week. Despite the setback from last week, there's still a ton of great progress in this thread and you have a great e30.

Keep up the good work!
                          Thank you sir! I like to think of the pothole incident as "a push to further refresh my suspension" :-)

By the way, love your taste, your 91/92/93 245 on Virgos shows that we have more in common than just a love for M42 powered E30s..

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                            Thank you sir! I like to think of the pothole incident as "a push to further refresh my suspension" :-)

By the way, love your taste, your 91/92/93 245 on Virgos shows that we have more in common than just a love for M42 powered E30s..
                            Haha, yeah. I noticed the Volvo 245 in your signature recently as well. My dad has the 245 now and has been driving it for the past 2 years. I still work on it occasionally, but the car is so reliable that it rarely needs anything. I had installed IPD sway bars on it as well, but the rest of the car was completely stock with all Volvo OEM parts.

There's a clean '91 245 slicktop with manual transmission for sale locally. Over 300K miles, but it has been well maintained. I'm considering picking it up as another project. :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                              Haha, yeah. I noticed the Volvo 245 in your signature recently as well. My dad has the 245 now and has been driving it for the past 2 years. I still work on it occasionally, but the car is so reliable that it rarely needs anything. I had installed IPD sway bars on it as well, but the rest of the car was completely stock with all Volvo OEM parts.

There's a clean '91 245 slicktop with manual transmission for sale locally. Over 300K miles, but it has been well maintained. I'm considering picking it up as another project. :devil:
                              That's actually hilarious, because my dad has been driving it on and off for the last few years as well! Since he left his last company where he was leasing cars, he zooms around in the 245. It also has an M47 transmission, IPD Sways, and a whole lot of other stuff. My parents bought it brand new at the factory in Sweden right before I was born. It was the first car I ever rode in, as a newborn. :) Still going strong with 380k + on the clock and various drivers throughout our family.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

M42 cars are just the best commuters/DD's. I love my 318is to pieces and just can't bring myself to sell it. I know I'd be crushed if something happened to it, so I know it must have been tough to see the old shell go. The circumstance of the new car is pretty awesome though!
                                Question for you. What are you using to space the non-airbag wheel out? I'm pretty tall (looks like you are too), so when I have the seat positioned to where I'm happy with the pedals the wheel is quite a bit further away than I'd like. I remember the airbag wheel being just about perfect in the short time I had it on there.
                                75' M42 Powered 2002
                                AW 318is

Comment

Working...
                                X