Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess the insurance value for 1989 325is!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackSpeed66 View Post
    Ok wow... I get your shop wants to make some money.... but at the expense of potentially taking away your car from you over paint costs is just silly. From that one pic - I don't see any obvious buckles in the quarter panel. If the damage to the quarter is confined to just the area around the lamp, they should be able to 'lose' the color coat in the quarter panel itself further out, without needing to go into the door. There's a seam where to rocker meets below the door that is a break point, and they would be able to bring the clear coat up and over the roof rail as well, out to the windshield area by the fender. There is an operation called 'tinting' as well that would allow for an easier color match, if it is needed. Depending on how far they have to go vertically for the repair on the corner area, they may have to paint into the trunk lid for an even match, but that's not a big deal.
    Thanks. Yeah, there's no way I'm going to salvage the title. This particular shop is BMW factory authorized crazy expensive. I am not obligated to have them do the work, and will probably take whatever the insurance will give me without dirtying the title and have my regular shop do the work. Hopefully the can do exactly what you described... unless a miracle happens and the insurance gives me enough to have my body shop prep and respray the entire car... which they charge me around $4,500 for.

Comment

Originally posted by DELPHINtimecapsule View Post
      Ironically there are ZERO available on ebay right now. there was a mint set for 1k last month but gone now.
      Google them to find listings which have ended. Parts which have sold are better evidence of cost than parts which have a "buy it now"

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Google them to find listings which have ended. Parts which have sold are better evidence of cost than parts which have a "buy it now"
        Yeah I showed him screen shots of recent eBay listings that ended. The don't seem to be balking at full replacement cost.

Comment

A: that is absolutely NOT a $7500 job. The shop doesn't want to work on it and is ripping you. "BMW approved" means nothing in the auto body world. Usually these are the low to mid quality fast shops the dealers take trade ins and service dept. bumps to.

I'm very familiar with this industry and can tell you ACTUAL cost, with better pics.

Also, I smashed my '91 sedan into a concrete wall on the freeway back in early 2014. Got my insurance to pay me 79% of the value, which kept a clean title, and had my own shop repair it.

What was the value they put on my car? $7,900.

Think of how much I pocketed.
          Derek-

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
            A: that is absolutely NOT a $7500 job. The shop doesn't want to work on it and is ripping you. "BMW approved" means nothing in the auto body world. Usually these are the low to mid quality fast shops the dealers take trade ins and service dept. bumps to.

I'm very familiar with this industry and can tell you ACTUAL cost, with better pics.

Also, I smashed my '91 sedan into a concrete wall on the freeway back in early 2014. Got my insurance to pay me 79% of the value, which kept a clean title, and had my own shop repair it.

What was the value they put on my car? $7,900.

Think of how much I pocketed.
            This is the place if you buy a new car at Beverly Hills BMW, and get damage, it's the one place in t.he area that is authorized by BMW of Beverly Hills to restore your car to "factory" condition and they guarantee the work... meaning if the slightest defect appears, even many years later, they redo it. Because of the location, they won't "cut" where there is nowhere to cut since over time a the clear might age differently and they would have to redo everything. This is what they tell me, yes, but this place has a reputation of being on this level.
            But like I said, I will not take a salvage title and I won't be obliged to use them, but this is they price the gave to my adjuster when we all met. They actaully didn't even say $7,500 for sure... they said it might be more.

Comment

This is the place if you buy a new car at Beverly Hills BMW, and get damage, it's the one place in t.he area that is authorized by BMW of Beverly Hills to restore your car to "factory" condition and they guarantee the work... meaning if the slightest defect appears, even many years later, they redo it. Because of the location, they won't "cut" where there is nowhere to cut since over time a the clear might age differently and they would have to redo everything. This is what they tell me, yes, but this place has a reputation of being on this level.
              But like I said, I will not take a salvage title and I won't be obliged to use them, but this is they price the gave to my adjuster when we all met. They actaully didn't even say $7,500 for sure... they said it might be more.

Most body shops offer a lifetime warranty these days. Lifetime as in however long you own the car.

They are correct about the "cut." It used to be an acceptable practice, but when you're offering a warranty, well, leaves too much open to failure. So they will want to clear coat both quarters and the full roof down the A pillars. There is a bit in that they can cut cost due to how they put it in the estimating system btw. And likely they use CCC.

Good luck.

P.s. check into that 79% thing. PM me if you want clarification.
              Derek-

Comment

Most body shops offer a lifetime warranty these days. Lifetime as in however long you own the car.

They are correct about the "cut." It used to be an acceptable practice, but when you're offering a warranty, well, leaves too much open to failure. So they will want to clear coat both quarters and the full roof down the A pillars. There is a bit in that they can cut cost due to how they put it in the estimating system btw. And likely they use CCC.

Good luck.

P.s. check into that 79% thing. PM me if you want clarification.
                Thank you very much. I might want your expertise.

Comment

$7500 better include a full respray of the entire car - with all trim, glass, etc. removed, door jambs, etc.

BMW approved or not, you're being sold up a creek.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I look at lifetime warranty as being as long is they are in business. I have had work done on my house and we it's lifetime warrantied, well the business is renamed aka the LLC world of renaming yourself so you don't loose everything when your sued.

That also being said where are you going to warranty Craftsman hand tools soon? They were bought by Black and Decker and Stanley.

OP good luck with getting it fixed. Who was your insurance company? Full coverage or stated value?
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

It's just stated, which is why I'm anxious about the number they come up with. I looked into agreed value years ago with AAA, but they couldn't do it. I had looked into a policy with other carriers, but it was tricky since I daily drive it and don't have a garage space for it. But after this, I might renew my efforts for agreed value coverage. That being said, AAA has treated me very well and also did right by me when my home was robbed. They are covering a replacement set of MHW's which is awesome... I thought for sure they would say "We will only cover one used OEM replacement tail".

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                      I look at lifetime warranty as being as long is they are in business. I have had work done on my house and we it's lifetime warrantied, well the business is renamed aka the LLC world of renaming yourself so you don't loose everything when your sued.

That also being said where are you going to warranty Craftsman hand tools soon? They were bought by Black and Decker and Stanley.

OP good luck with getting it fixed. Who was your insurance company? Full coverage or stated value?

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post

Yes, and that's one reason insurance companies try to send you to their preferred shops. That way the company will put up a lifetime warranty.

I've been in this industry as a mediator for 10 years. Was considering starting my own thing as a liaison for the owner since so few folks actually know how it works. There is so much misinformation out there.

I was just talking to my wife about the Craftsman thing. Maybe someone will buy the marque?
                        Derek-

Comment

Man keep us posted I'm curious as to what they say. That's why it's always good to have receipts and proof. When I insured my car the guy couldn't believe that e30's were going for. People outside the bmw community think of them as just old cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Guess the insurance value for 1989 325is!

My car had 6700 damage and they fixed it. You can the money from them just matters on how you do it. I will tell you that they will total the car if you ask for 7000 because let's face it. All of our cars are probably worth anywhere from 2000 to 4000 for what they are. The rest is just e30 tax... how clean it is, milage, mods,etc.

My point is you need to suck the money out of them slowly. Have them pay for it being fixed and things that "don't" get fixed will be fixed later.

I had them replace my cars mechanical parts one by one because insurance had already paid out 1400 in the beginning for body work.

Pm me if you have any questions.

-Argad

Comment

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
                              My car had 6700 damage and they fixed it. You can the money from them just matters on how you do it. I will tell you that they will total the car if you ask for 7000 because let's face it. All of our cars are probably worth anywhere from 2000 to 4000 for what they are. The rest is just e30 tax... how clean it is, milage, mods,etc.

My point is you need to suck the money out of them slowly. Have them pay for it being fixed and things that "don't" get fixed will be fixed later.

I had them replace my cars mechanical parts one by one because insurance had already paid out 1400 in the beginning for body work.

Pm me if you have any questions.

-Argad

Thank you.

Comment

and will probably take whatever the insurance will give me without dirtying the title

When this happened to me (similar damage, different kind of car, no E30 tax) that was not an option. I got my estimates, they didn't care, they came and did their own. I showed them KBB value, the original window sticker and actual replacement value with similar cars on the used market, they didn't care, they determine their own values. Offered me 1/3 of what the car was actually worth, told me it was totaled no matter what. I told them I don't even care about losing the money, but the damage is simply not sufficient for totalling it to be appropriate by any stretch, they didn't care, no budge, no negotiation. I told them if you do this we're pulling 5 car policies and a house today, I was told very plainly "that's fine." I fought them for 6 months before I got sick of the smashed car sitting in my garage collecting dust, gave in, took the money, bought it back, fixed it myself and went through the Highway Patrol salvage vehicle inspection.

Insurance companies are scum. I wish I had encouraging words for you.
                                sigpic
                                1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Working...
                                X