M50 swap wont start weird EWS issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 swap wont start weird EWS issue

I've searched this over and over but cant seem to find anything on any of the forums that pertain to my specific issue. I recently swapped an m50 into my 91 318is and it will crank but wont start. I'm not getting fuel or spark, pump works when power is put directly to it but i dont get spark when i crank the motor. I recently found out that i had a silver label 413 and the harness was from a '95 production car so it has the ews relay/box near the ecu plug. I swapped the silver label out for a red label and im still not getting any changes. Let me add that im currently using a harness adapter which i dont think is my issue quite yet as I have the EWS stuff going on and the car cranks fine. Am I supposed to bypass the EWS relay/box by splicing a couple of the wires or should i look into my harness adapter? I have no problem wiring the e36 harness directly to the C101 plug it just seemed easier to use since it came with the swap. If anyone could give me some insight that be great, I want this car to run already!

EWS box near ecu Plug? Never heard something like that. The EWS is only at m52 cars and in those It's at the chassis wiring loom. Not at the engine loom. Is that some kind of after market EWS? Then just remove it.
    Any pics about that box?

Are you sure that you have everything connected right? The engine will crank even without the dme box. But the dme will need +12 all the time, +12v to the Green wires when ignition is on and it has to see tha crank rotate from crank sensor. If one of those three is missing, then it wont start. Is crank and cam angle sensor connected right way?

Comment

With a red label DME, it should start, so EWS isn't your issue now.

Comment

Originally posted by m3po View Post
        with a red label dme, it should start, so ews isn't your issue now.
        qft

Comment

Are you sure that your fuel lines are correct? It's a common mistake to have them backwards.
          If you're not getting fuel, your problem might not be a spark issue. How do you know that you have no spark?
          Also, if ews is activated, I don't believe the engine will even spin over.

IIRC, the line that is connected with the e30 fuel filter is the inlet line from the tank. This needs to connect to the m/s50/52 fuel line by the intake with the regulator on it. (I'll double check this in the morning)
          Last edited by sweet3; 11-22-2016, 01:48 AM.
          PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweet3 View Post
            Are you sure that your fuel lines are correct? It's a common mistake to have them backwards.
            If you're not getting fuel, your problem might not be a spark issue. How do you know that you have no spark?
            Also, if ews is activated, I don't believe the engine will even spin over.

IIRC, the line that is connected with the e30 fuel filter is the inlet line from the tank. This needs to connect to the m/s50/52 fuel line by the intake with the regulator on it. (I'll double check this in the morning)
            It will crank but not fire.

Comment

EWS only kills spark I believe, not fuel. I'd vote for a bad crank position sensor. That's the only thing that will take out both.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                EWS only kills spark I believe, not fuel. I'd vote for a bad crank position sensor. That's the only thing that will take out both.
                EWS definitely kills the injectors. Washing the cylinders with fuel when there's no spark can cause scored cylinders. I cranked and cranked and cranked when I had an EWS problem and never had any fuel in the cylinders or exhaust. It may fire the coils because that wouldn't hurt anything, not sure there.

Comment

Working...
                X