e36/7 antenna how-to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36/7 antenna how-to

I wrote this over a year ago and posted it on some other, unspecified forum. Since then I've gone to a little nub antenna, but you can get the picture of the install here. My car is currently disassembled, and when I put it back together I'll take some better pics and show how to wire it (even though it's really easy). Welp, here we go:

Okay, I know there have been numerous threads about putting in a z3/318ti antenna, but i want to end the discussion. I'll show exactly what parts i used and tell how I did it.

First, you will need the antenna base. You can get one from a z3 or a 318ti, both are the same. I found mine in a wrecking yard in a z3 and got it for $25. If you buy new, it will cost you significantly more.

Here is a picture of the one i used: PN 65218375159

It came with a bracket on it, but i simply took it off and threw it away. It is not necessary.

The next thing you will need is a grommet to hold the base in place. When i called the dealer and asked for the grommet for a z3, they told me there were 4 different types. So i asked about the grommet for the 318ti and they had that one so i used it. It works perfectly and i don't know the difference between it and the ones from the z3.

Here is a picture of the new grommet and the one i took off from my car:

The new one from the 318ti is on the right and the old one is on the left. The PN for the grommet is 65218362369.

The third and last thing you will need is an antenna. I chose to get a stock one, but there are a number of different choices. You can get any one that will fit a z3 or 318ti and possibly ones from a z4. I got the stock one from the 318ti. The part number is 65218362368.

Now that I've got it on my car, I'll probably get a different one that is shorter.

I don't have any pictures from the install, but it is very simple. First, you simply remove the power antenna and it's bracket. The connection to the antenna is the same as the e30 one, so you can simply screw that one on the new base.

For the power hook up, there is a plug for the power antenna that you will want to remove. Then you want to probe the two wires and see which is constant 12V. On my car it was red and the switched was white. The connector for the e30 will actually slide right in to the one on the new base. Then you want to ground the new base to something. I used the point that the power antenna was grounded to.

Here is a pic of the connections on the new base:

Now you're pretty much done. You need to remove the old grommet and put the new one. Do this from the top. It's very simple, just get the seal over the edge of the hole. Then just push the base up though the grommet until it goes all the way in. The grommet will support the base.

Now you just need to screw the antenna on and you're good to go.

Here's a pic of the final product.

And one up close of the grommet

Pay no attention to the thick film of dirt on my car, I know it's in need of a wash. And if i were to do this again, I don't think I would pay the $25 for the OEM antenna. I will end up replacing it eventually, so I would recommend just buying a different one off of Ebay right off the bat.

Do you have other pictures ? I would like to see how it looks when the key is not in the ignition switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenassi View Post
      Do you have other pictures ? I would like to see how it looks when the key is not in the ignition switch.

AHahahahaha. I'll assume the same.

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't move.

Comment

thanks for the write up, I used it to instal mine. Came out perfect.
          sigpic
          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
            Yeah, it doesn't move.
            Thats what she said! WooOoOoooOOOooo!!!

lol

cool write up tho
            -Frank
            1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
            1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
            2001 525i

Comment

Is it smaller than my current antenna ? Mine as not been changed since 1991 and I have a BMW 318is.

Comment

Yes, it is smaller. It's probably 12-18 inches. Bu I don't use the one pictured anymore. I bought a stubby antenna on ebay that looks much better. But don't be fooled by anyone that says reception is just as good with the short ones; it's not. I leave the stubby one on because it looks better and I don't listen to the radio that much, but I keep the long one in case I ever go on a long trip or something.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                  Yes, it is smaller. It's probably 12-18 inches. Bu I don't use the one pictured anymore. I bought a stubby antenna on ebay that looks much better. But don't be fooled by anyone that says reception is just as good with the short ones; it's not. I leave the stubby one on because it looks better and I don't listen to the radio that much, but I keep the long one in case I ever go on a long trip or something.
                  Have a link to which stubby?

Comment

I recently picked up a pair of these 318i/ti antennas, going to give it a shot.

Thanks for the write-up.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Just installed mine (stock 318ti set up). I used this write up to do it. Very easy and cool. I think my reception is even better than my OE one. If you are worried about the stability, just get a new grommet. The used one that came with mine works fine, but a new one would probably be tighter.
                      1989 Schwarz 325is Track/DE car: IE strut braces, IE Stage 3 springs/Bilsteins, IE sway bars, Hawk HP+, Z4 ssk, K&N, Autopower roll bar,Kosei K-1 w/ Kumho XS

Comment

Yep, almost a no brainer to get a new bushing/grommet. Honda shorty antenna on ebay sells for about $20 shipped :)
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Tenassi View Post
                          i love this comment! it made me lawl a few months ago just as hard i lawled tonight.
                          sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

This might be known already, but the antenna from E36 convertibles is the same base and part number.

I just got my base today. Just need a stubby now.

Comment

Originally posted by brianpgriset View Post
                              Just need a chubby now.
                              fixed.

i think i might try this setup. thanks for the info!
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                              X