Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on placing your E30 on jackstands...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmwsmurf
    What you want is one of these:
    http://www.ultimategarage.com/acjacks.html

If I ever get a garage... that's one of the first things to buy.
    Oh man, that's fucking awesome! There's no way I could afford it though, not right now anyway.

We're hopefully looking to move into a new place pretty soon, so I can finally have a garage. The house I live in now is cool (nice and big), but has no garage.

Comment

iF you have a lowered vehicle (like me) and your jack won't fit under (also like me) and it is too low to drive onto ramps (like me even tho I have ramps) then all you do is grab a small block of wood, say 4x4, get a longer bit of 6x2 and make some very gradually sloping ramps - drive up on then and the your jack will fit under.

Sometimes if I want to use my ramps instead of jacking for instances when the wheels don't have to come off I just use bits of 6x2 as leaders for my ramps. We're only talking 2 or 3 ft long bits of plank so they are plenty strong enough.

Comment

I have a hard time getting a jack under my car even if I drive up on 2x4's
        ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

My car is pretty slammed and I can get under my car.

Comment

I have no problem getting under the rear to the diff, but the front is a pain in the ass, getting past the airdam, under the oil pan, and to the subframe.

I think what I need to do is get a low profile jack, and buy/make some ramps that are just tall enough to roll up on and get the jack underneath.

Comment

I never be able to jack under the front of the car with anything, unless the sides are on jackstands already (sparco bar install for example)

but i've only needed to have a jack in front TWICE during my entire ownership (sparco bar and motor mount installs). otherwise, jacking the sides from those rails has worked very well. the low-pro jack can get under and you can put it right where you want it and have it in the air seconds later... wheel around and do the other side in a minute. if that's too hard / too long, change your tampon and stop whining

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed
                I have no problem getting under the rear to the diff, but the front is a pain in the ass, getting past the airdam, under the oil pan, and to the subframe.

I think what I need to do is get a low profile jack, and buy/make some ramps that are just tall enough to roll up on and get the jack underneath.
                I really doubt you will be able to ge up on ramps w/ an airdam on your car. maybe if you drove onto a 4x4? I prefer lifts personally ;-)
                ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                  What is the best/safest way to get the car on 4 jack stands?..........one side first.........one end first?.......tia!
                  I was stupid enough to put front wheels on ramps and then lift one back side up (secure it on a candle) and then the next back side up same thing. The next day When I shut my passenger door my rear window shattered into a thousand fucking pieces. Yup, I learn things the hard way

Comment

Two jack stands under front frame rails first. then jack up the diff and two jack stands in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by e30BMart View Post
                      I was stupid enough to put front wheels on ramps and then lift one back side up (secure it on a candle) and then the next back side up same thing. The next day When I shut my passenger door my rear window shattered into a thousand fucking pieces. Yup, I learn things the hard way
                      What do you mean by securing in on a candle? What's a candle? and how did that cause the rear window to shatter?
                      Visit the 3 series heritage site (work in progress):
                      http://www.creativesmurf.com

Comment

I don't see why everyone complains about not being able to get their cars on ramps w/ an IS lip. just pull the lip off and then drive up on them. It takes like 20 seconds to take off and reinstall. (If you have it attached the proper way)

-NICK

Comment

Two Thousand and Six

Comment

Still useful info......

-NICK

Comment

Idk I don't have it anymore but my old 325es, when I put the jack stands at the front (where it said to put them) and left it over night, it straight put a hole in the floor, when I went, to finish the job, I noticed the one side just punched threw. And truly I've seen plenty of e30s with alot more rust than my old one
                              sigpic

Comment

Holy old thread batman. Your frame rails were that rotten? wow! any pictures?

Comment

Working...
                                X