How does this redrill look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this redrill look?

Would this be safe to drive with, daily?

Looks great. I'd use them. Make sure to ask him if any specific lug is required to use because of how close the drills are to the cap lock thing in the center bore. Might need tuner lugs.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I dont know man those would make me a little nervous being you have halved the amount of metal between the hub bore and the lug bore. Will they be ok, maybe, but that is taking a lot of the margin of safety out of the the equation, and seems like an area to watch for compression/stress cracking
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Been on redrills for 5 years. I'm still alive.

Yolo?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I'd drift that because of what Matt-B said.

Comment

id drift it

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Looks good to me. Losing material between the lug hole and the centerbore wouldn't have much effect as the load is in that direction.

Comment

I do agree that is not the dirrection of the bulk of the load, but when you put that narrow area under compression via lug nut/bolt there is not as much metal to take that load. There is not as much surface area to engage the face of the fastener on the center bore side of the hole there by increasing the load on the available surface area, and decreased material to absorb that.

I am not a metallurgist or an engineer, but I have seen some sketchy shit when you test areas like that, (in other types of applications) for weakness or defects after its been in service, as an NDE tech. Not on automotive wheels of course but there is a reason there is x amount of metal between holes on wheels. I would not be worried about out an out failure, I would be worried about stress cracking over time and use.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  I do agree that is not the dirrection of the bulk of the load, but when you put that narrow area under compression via lug nut/bolt there is not as much metal to take that load. There is not as much surface area to engage the face of the fastener on the center bore side of the hole there by increasing the load on the available surface area, and decreased material to absorb that.

I am not a metallurgist or an engineer, but I have seen some sketchy shit when you test areas like that, (in other types of applications) for weakness or defects after its been in service, as an NDE tech. Not on automotive wheels of course but there is a reason there is x amount of metal between holes on wheels. I would not be worried about out an out failure, I would be worried about stress cracking over time and use.
                  I hear you, though considering I see aluminum hubcentric rings I wouldn't worry about this.
                  My old filled and drilled 5's were put through 350wtq+ for 3 years before I sold them and were filled 'n drilled arguably worse than this - an opinion coming from the excess of material engineers we have here on r3v.
                  I also had hubcentric spacers for the wheels, 57.1 inner 72.6(?) outer.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

^
                    I dunno about you, but I'm 100% an expert on metallurgy, but only when I see pictures on the internet with no measurements and no idea of material composition.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      but there is a reason there is x amount of metal between holes on wheels.
                      From what I've gathered, wheels rely more on the amount of clamping force and static friction of the wheel-to-hub interface thing-a-bad-jig, more than a strength of the bolts in shear. Until you get to insane Hp or braking forces. Remember, you and only do about 1g in turing at the best. But a lot of force in stopping.

(Source: I got a B+ in my "statics" engineering class - ahahah!)
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                      X