Getrag 260 vs ZF Throw out bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 vs ZF Throw out bearing

So when I first got my car the trans was bad and needed swapped out. I swapped it with another getrag at the time, but noticed I had two different sized Throw out bearings. One for shallow trans and one for a deep trans, but cant remember what is installed.
    Currently in the middle of a swap and used the throw out bearing from the old m20 getrag, dual mass that I know of. Now that the ZF is in and the clutch is bled I noticed I have a very low clutch engagement even after messing with the eccentric bolt. Could this be caused by the throw out bearing or is it something else? The only thing in the clutch system that changed clutch wise is the slave cylinder and trans.

Do I need to get a 323i Throw out bearing? I was told mine would work but all my research is showing that a 323i TOB would help. Looking it up now, but does anyone have the part number to the TOB handy?

Comment

The only time you need a 323 to is when you have the deep DM transmission but have
      a shallow SM flywheel/clutch stack. And the only way I know to determine all that is to
      measure what was originally in there....

Almost everything BMW uses the shallower throwout, in stock configuration.

From the sound of it, you might need the 323 bearing.

t

did it once for kicks. It worked.
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I went through this when building my last M20.

I had a Transmission from an 87 325e that had a dual mass flywheel in it. Built the engine and swapped a lightened single mass flywheel in and installed a sachs clutch kit for a 325i.

Long story short I ended up needing to install the 323i (e21) throw out bearing to make it all work. The transmissions that had a dual mass flywheel to begin with have a deeper bellhousing, I took measurements but I believe it was around 3/4", correct me if i'm wrong.

I compared the 325i and 323i TOB's and the 323i TOB "ears" are about 5mm IIRC taller than the 325i which gives it the extra length to use the clutch as designed. I hope that makes sense.
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=21_0066

#4 - 21 51 1 204 525
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

I do find myself wondering- has anyone used the 323 bearing,
            only to discover it's too LONG?

As in, clutch won't engage, pedal's too high, etc.

I wonder if the hydraulics have enough travel to compensate for the extra 5mm.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I had an issue with the pedal engaging at the floor. Put the 323 throwout bearing in and problem solved.

Comment

To make this even more confusing, I installed an eta 5 spd and RHD single mass FW in my Cabrio with a stock Sachs "I" clutch kit and its fine.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

There are two bellhousings, early model was single mass and same size as late model i trans. The dual mass was deeper is one you'll need the 323i tob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpic
                  1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                  I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Working...
                  X