Z3 Antenna Swap - Grommet Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 Antenna Swap - Grommet Issues

So, I did the fabled Z3 antenna swap for my non-functioning retractable antenna, and everything went relatively smoothly (other than it being 25 degrees outside while I was doing it).

Several other posters mentioned that the Z3 grommet fit rather perfectly on their vehicles, so I had one of those to go along with the installation, and I'm unimpressed with how it fits in the hole.

My question is, did I get a bad grommet, is this how people have theirs, or should I work on modifying the grommet itself to better fit the opening?

Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Excuse the dusty car, there's about a million leaves falling right now so I'm going to have to wait a week or two to clean her up.

sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

I did this recently... It's hard to get it to fit, but once you do, it's a tight fit. I lubed mine in soapy water. You need to press down really hard to get the circle cutout in the rear quarter to fit in the groove/lip. Try a little twisting action. It took me a good 10 mins or work. It should fit fine.

Comment

Hmm.. it was pretty cold so I'm sure that didn't help anything. I'll go out there and try the soapy water thing and maybe hit it with a hair dryer to soften up the rubber a bit.

Do you have any pictures of how yours sits?
      sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

yep. did the same, had to use soapy water and a good amount of force. you could try trimming down the grommet with sandpaper to try to make it fit a little easier.

Comment

Dawn dish soap, no water needed. Use it for all rubber bits you install, forever, including windshields, subframe bushings, everything

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Grommet too loose

Apologies for resurrecting the old thread but I have the opposite problem. The grommet is too small/loose to the point that i can easily push the entire thing through the hole in the body and it falls into the trunk well. This is on 1991 318is.

I ordered part number 65218389698 which is listed as the Z3 grommet. Is this the correct part?
            1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
            1991 318is: raw DD
            2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

Not sure. IIRC there where two different antennas used on e30. Maybe some had a larger hole?
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Could be, or different grommets for the Z3 model years? Anyway for now some black RTV around the grommet to improve the seal seems to be the solution.
                1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
                1991 318is: raw DD
                2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

Resurrecting this old thread. What grommet part number is the best fit? I want to get it right the first time. I already have the mast and radio module. There are about 6 different grommets available. Thanks......G.

Comment

My suggestion is purchase one for a 318Ti it matches the fender line better. It's probably cheaper too.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Anybody got a junkyard 318TI vin to cross reference at the dealer? IJS.

Comment

Ijs?
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

........I'm Just Saying.......

Comment

Originally posted by g.ruff561 View Post
                            Resurrecting this old thread. What grommet part number is the best fit? I want to get it right the first time. I already have the mast and radio module. There are about 6 different grommets available. Thanks......G.
                            If you're still looking, this is the grommet i used and it fits perfectly in my 91 318is.

BMW Grommet 65218362369
                            BMW Antenna Base 65218375159

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X