'86 325e fuel filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 325e fuel filter question

So I just spent about 30 minutes looking for my fuel filter - under the car in front of the rear left tire and under the airbox in the left engine bay. Neither location has a fuel filter. The tire location has the pump, but no filter, and the engine bay has the charcoal canister but no filter either.

What am I missing?

Last edited by bkemps; 04-06-2014, 01:58 PM.
    '86 325e

Okay, so I found the filter. For whatever reason the previous owner moved it and used a different filter (and it appears different fuel line -- this line seems too big for the barbs on the end of my new fuel filter). I guess I'm going to be ordering more fuel line and relocating it somewhere out of the way (maybe the stock location, but maybe somewhere more accessible).

Fuel filter is sitting over the intake. Awesome place for it, right?

Any recommendations while I'm doing this? Good things to take care of that might creep up?
    '86 325e

Comment

Just saw this while searching for something else...

How is this working for you? My filter is located in the engine bay, and I'm thinking of doing something similar to this now that I've seen it.
      Estoguy
      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Honestly, there's no reason it can't stay there.
        sigpic

Comment

Modifications Not Necessary

Simple:
          1. If you filter is on top of the intake manifold, leave it there, I couldn't think of better access than to just popping your hood and viola....it's starring at you.
          2. For those that have the filter next to the steering knuckle, well that one can sure go somewhere else, don't know what BMW was thinking at the moment (oh, ah...lets just slap it there). It's somewhat frustrating trying to remove the lower hose clamp.
          3. For those that have it next to the fuel pump (driver side under the vehicle), I guess it's not so bad, you just have to raise the car, secure with jack stands and deal with the change process while laying on your back and getting some fuel on you. This is not an issue of course if you have someone else do your maintenance and if they have a lift.

I say the worst case scenario is #2, due to lower clamp access. My next mod would be to relocate somewhere accessible, nowhere near the motor...still looking.

Comment

Working...
          X