Rear hatch lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear hatch lock

I recently got a new key for my Touring from the local BMW dealer. Amazing how worn down all my old keys are.

The new key works in every lock (including ignition) except the hatch. Has anyone re-pinned a hatch lock? Is the process the same/similar to a door lock?

Thanks, Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

does it not go in, or does the lock not turn? mine is a little finicky sometimes and i have to put a little pressure and slide the key out a notch, then back fully seated and it'll turn. Little lock paste will lube it up reeeeeeeeeeal nice

new steel key?
    -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
    -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

If you are having issues get some silicon spray. Spray it onto the key and run it through the lock a couple of time until you can turn it. I would suggest doing that on all locks. I have done it on mine and need to do it again.

Comment

The key will not go all the way in the lock. What is "lock paste"? Can't find it using Google.

In the mean time, I will try silicone. Thanks!
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

I got a bottle of this Sonax Schlossfit. I call it lock paste, but its essentially lubricating oil fro the door locks. Also does a really good job of keeping them from fucking freezing like I'd had happen before.
          -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

DOn't know anything about freezing I live in a warm climate.

Comment

Soaked all the locks with silicone. Didn't make a difference on the rear lock.

I noticed that the new key is actually different. Here are 3 keys.
              Left - new key, works on all locks except rear hatch
              Center - key that came with car, works on all locks
              Right - key that came with car, does not work on any locks

Any thoughts? Is the new key wrong? If it's wrong, why would it work everywhere except the hatch?

I can return the key to BMW and get a refund. Do you all think I could get an accurate key cut from the good key, using a BMW blank (even though the key is worn)?

Thanks, Cory
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

It almost looks like they cut you a valet key as I've never seen an E30 key missing end profiles like that one.

This thread has a bit more info for you if you haven't already read it:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=332441

Comment

Thats pretty strange.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they cut you a valet key. Try it in the glove box, if it doesn't unlock it, then you'll know.

The new one a steel key?
                    -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I was not thinking that the rear hatch lock is equivalent to the trunk lock on a sedan (valet key won't work). Duh! The link from rougetoaster was very helpful. Should have known the key topic had already been covered on r3v.

When I initially compared the keys, they all looked the same length, but now that I know the valet key is shorter, I'm almost sure that's what the dealer ordered. I'll check the glove box to confirm.

crash n' burn - Yes, the new keys are all steel. They were supposed to order one plastic head key, but 2 steel keys came in. I thought it was a good deal to get 2 keys for the price of one, so I accepted the metal keys. Looks like they just ordered the wrong key all around.

Cory
                      Last edited by cory58; 02-14-2017, 02:02 PM.
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

Comment

im just glad they could still cut them for you. I need/want to order a new set for mine but im afraid if i get them from a 3rd party vender I won't find someone who can cut them.
                        -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

Originally posted by crash n' burn View Post
                          im just glad they could still cut them for you. I need/want to order a new set for mine but im afraid if i get them from a 3rd party vender I won't find someone who can cut them.
                          Dealer will order them pre-cut if you provide title/registration. Be prepared - they ain't cheap.
                          1992 325i Cabrio
                          1988 320i Touring
                          2000 M5
                          1977 530i
                          BMWCCA
                          E30CCA

Comment

Update: Ordered the (hopefully) correct key from the dealer, as a free replacement for the valet keys. Even though the correct key was supposedly $10 more, the great parts guy (Julian Mendoza) did an even trade and let me keep the 2 valet keys. Like I would ever valet my baby.....
                            1992 325i Cabrio
                            1988 320i Touring
                            2000 M5
                            1977 530i
                            BMWCCA
                            E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by crash n' burn View Post
                              You can order oe bmw keys from a bunch of vendors on r3v and I have a local places that just cuts keys and they cut my keys for $8. I think it cost me $30 for the key and getting cut last time i had it done.
                              Originally posted by blunttech
                              Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                              :shock:

Comment

Working...
                              X