Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Pull Strap" in place of tonneau cover release handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
    that means the tension on the handle is too great. This could lead to a failure if the constant stress weakens the handle over time.

This is the adjuster.
    Curious to where this is?

Comment

^ That adjuster is on the drivers side a few inches behind the scissor hinge for the top

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
      Question (not a challenge/argument): since the tension is only high/concerning when the top is stowed (not when releasing the tonneau to stop the top), is it still the tension cables?

I (maybe incorrectly) thought it was the top storage pushing up on the top that was making the release right as opposed to mis-adjustment of the cables since it is only tight when the top is stowed.
      you're right on both accounts. I've noticed if I don't hand-fold my window correctly the top will take up more room and push against the tonneau when stowed, which makes it harder to pull the handle when putting the top back up.

The adjuster can compensate for most of this as long as the top is fitting snugly. There will always be more tension when the top is stowed because (at least on my car) the top takes up a bit more room than the compartment has (mine is an OEM zip-window kind). But play with it a bit and you'll be able to feel where the sweet spot is where there isn't tension on the handle but the release point happens just after you pull the handle.

It's kind of funny, my handle broke a couple years ago and I was able to re-align it and continue using the plastic handle, but this week it completely broke when I took out the panel to replace a speaker. So new parts are on the way!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Any updates on the pull-strap?

Comment

Originally posted by cspec View Post
          Any updates on the pull-strap?
          No, I have been messing with my e36 lately. I might see what I can rig up this weekend or next.
          Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

My guess would be yes but mine has never broken. My top has a lot of tension on the cover when the cover is closed so I have to pull pretty hard to get the cover to release. When the top is up and I am lowering/stowing it the tension on the handle is minimal. It only happens when releasing the cover when the top is stowed.
            This happened to me too. I figured out that the cable was getting caught on the right side while top was lowered. Now I walk over to the right side when I lower the top to make sure it doesn't get caught on the cable.
            sigpic

Comment

Finally did a mock-up last night (my current handle finally snapped). The mock-up worked but the possible issue that I see is that I need to figure out a way to pull both cables equally. The stock handle uses a metal barrel that rotates in such a way that both cables are pulled equally. If I use a strap I don't know how to ensure that equal pressure/force is applied to both cables.
              Patrick Henry

Comment

Finally did a mock-up last night (my current handle finally snapped). The mock-up worked but the possible issue that I see is that I need to figure out a way to pull both cables equally. The stock handle uses a metal barrel that rotates in such a way that both cables are pulled equally. If I use a strap I don't know how to ensure that equal pressure/force is applied to both cables.
                I've been trying to figure out as well. I was thinking maybe connecting the two, but at the same time, just always pull sideways to ensure both are ejected?

Comment

Originally posted by cspec View Post
                  I've been trying to figure out as well. I was thinking maybe connecting the two, but at the same time, just always pull sideways to ensure both are ejected?
                  Since I always open the top while leaning over the side I would probably have a tendency to pull up just slightly but I am sure that with practice it would be fine.
                  Patrick Henry

Comment

Working...
                  X