Topic Fragmentation Kills Traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topic Fragmentation Kills Traffic

The fact that there is a different section for discussion about every conceivable part on the car makes it difficult to casually browse topics, which decreases use. The "general discussion" section should be free for users to discuss topics that are normally moved to the "correct" section, as this section gets much more traffic.

Just my opinion. Since it's buried here in "Forum News & Suggestions" nobody will probably read it, ha.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Example: I'm about to post a topic about OEM BMW wheel colors. Undoubtedly, this will end up in the "Wheels & Tires" section either because I post it there or because it gets moved there. I would much rather this get posted in the "General Discussion" section since it gets more traffic. It's also arguably general discussion.

Another example: I posted a thread in general about shifting technique in the E30, and whether it was possible to shift the transmission quickly - sounds like a topic for GD section. Nope, it was moved to Transmission & Driveline, a section with 1/10 the viewership of general, where it promptly died.

"General Discussion" is actually more of a "Miscellaneous" section with the way topics are flushed out.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Perhaps in the short term, though if I were looking for a thread about wheel colors the first place I'd look is in the Wheels subforum.

General Discussion is just that - simply put, it's for anything which isn't specific to E30s.

If we put/leave everything in General, it makes finding information more difficult. Granularity in the search results is helpful, since the subforum where the thread lives is displayed in those results.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

The forum has been this way for around 14 years. It's a very simple way to find what you are looking for. I am on a forum that is just one big general discussion (CorvairCenter). It is one big cluster fuck. But is inhabited by mostly guys in their late 50's-70's. Trying to find something you are looking for is a joke and your question will get buried. Glad someone did make a new Corvair forum that is laid out like this in sections, so much better to navigate. Being laid out like this is simply easy to navigate and find a topic you are looking for. Not scrolling down to find something or post in the appropriate section is just plain lazy, kind of reminds you of Facebook in a way.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

There are 28,720 threads and 565,854 posts in general discussion.

There are only 4,964 threads and 63,390 posts in the wheels/tires section. An order of magnitude less. And they are all about one specific topic (wheels/tires). General Discussion could literally be about anything.

Which subforum do you think would be easier to find threads or posts about wheel colors in?
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'd rather have topics/ask questions in the relative sub forums. Usually people who are more knowledgeable about a specific subject tend to dwell in those subforums rather than the GD.

Example: Guys like Forced Firebird (who's a good wealth of engine mod related knowledge) tends to be frequently found in the Engine related sub forums.

Which would you rather have: more response or better quality responses? Unfortunately, in today's world - you usually end up with one or the other..
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
              Which would you rather have: more response or better quality responses?
              This is a great point. I can't even count how many times I've shaken my head at the multitude of replies to questions which have been answered by folks who obviously weren't (as) qualified to answer them.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
              X