CA Legal m54 swap HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA Legal m54 swap HELP!

I'm looking into swapping my current m42 (95% leakage atm) with an m54 I found on Craigslist for cheap, includes engine harness, ECU, evap system, tranny etc. Since the guy has the key I don't think doing the EWS would be necessary... I'm new to the engine swap club this would be my first so clarification needed. What would I need to be able to make this swap BAR certified here in CA?

Forgot to mention I'd try and keep it OBD2... trying to stay smog legal and its already included lol

Any help is appreciated thanks

I recently got my S54 E36 legal. You should need:

-A stock looking intake. I couldn't fit the E46 M3 airbox and used a Z3 S54 one that fits the E36 perfectly.

-Stock headers with cats.

-SAP pump, evap purge value.

-E46 carbon canister with DMTL pump in place and wired up.

-Functional check engine light. This is a bit more tricky as I believe the M54 turns the cluster lamp off/on via CAN just like MSS54. You would need to bring over an E46 cluster or use the CAN board that I make. It will also let you have functional A/C.

I was also unlucky enough to visit a ref that wanted documentation from a dealer showing the DME had CVNs that matched the program/data calibration IDs, essentially showing the DME had not been modified. You may or may not run into the same issue, I can provide details via PM.

Comment

Working...
    X