Vert Aluminum Trim Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vert Aluminum Trim Removal

I'm looking to pull the chrome / aluminum trim off the vert, all the way around. Currently it's at the body shop getting some work done but once complete I am going to finish up a few loose ends and pull off some trim, door handles etc to get ready for paint.

I have the Bentley manual, which has one picture of how to pull the chrome trim up off the top of the doors. I'm assuming the rear quarter windows trim comes off the same way? How does the trim come off the tonneau?

I've searched and can't find anything specifically dealing with the convertible trim but I've heard it's easy to bend once removing and the clips usually break. Any threads, DIYs or tips on the bet way to pull and replace??
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Get some of the plastic trim removal tools; found them to be very very good for removing the chrome pieces.

1) a-pillar trim - Start at the top (where the aluminum overlaps the rubber corner seal). You need to pull the trim straight away from the car as it is held in by some metal tangs on the aluminum itself. Not a very hard piece to remove. Once you have the top started just work your way down pulling some more up by hand as you go.

2) window trim - start at the sides of the trim where the windows meet. Get the trim tool under and pull it straight up, but only enough to get it started. This will make a small gap just under the trim where it would meet the body of the door (or quarter panel for the rear part). Keep moving the trim tool and pushing the trim upwards as you go. This trim piece sits in some 's' shaped clips that grip the metal of the car and then has a channel for the rubber and a channel for the aluminum trim. Sounds like a lot, but just keep pushing it up.

3) tonneau cover - There are three peices, the sides and the middle. The middle is simply clipped in with some plastic clips. Get your trim tool under the edges where the middle piece meets each side and pop it up. This will allow you to slip the middle piece out of the side piece (which takes some more work after) and then work your way around popping it out of the clips. The side pieces are held in by the simple pop in clip (similar to the middle piece), but there is a second clip for each of the side pieces. This second clip is right at the front edge and you have to slide the piece off of it by pushing the trim piece forward off of the clip.

Comment

That is amazing, thank you for that write up! The thing with pushing the rear cover pieces forward is what I was looking for so I could keep from bending them.
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Thanks for this! Planning to paint the trim black.

Would anyone know how to remove the side door moldings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Front piece just pops straight out. It's held in with two small push in clips.

Door piece has a 9mm plastic nut on the rear inner edge of the door. That unscrews and then you can pull the trim straight outwards starting from the now freed rear part. There are a few clips that will release but the front one will allow the trim to slide backwards towards the rear of the car. So get all the clips off except for the last one at the front and then slide it off the front one.

The rear piece has another plastic nut on the inside of the front part of the rear wheel well. Undo that and then pull the trim straight off its clips.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mook613 View Post
            Front piece just pops straight out. It's held in with two small push in clips.

Door piece has a 9mm plastic nut on the rear inner edge of the door. That unscrews and then you can pull the trim straight outwards starting from the now freed rear part. There are a few clips that will release but the front one will allow the trim to slide backwards towards the rear of the car. So get all the clips off except for the last one at the front and then slide it off the front one.

The rear piece has another plastic nut on the inside of the front part of the rear wheel well. Undo that and then pull the trim straight off its clips.

Thanks! Appreciate the detailed write up!

Comment

Originally posted by cspec View Post
              Thanks! Appreciate the detailed write up!
              The rear front clip may be another angled slide... So try to slide it off first, pulling the trim towards the back of the car while holding the rear part straight away from the car (towards you)

Comment

So I just happened to stumble across this video on getting a vert ready for paint in case anyone wants to see the removal etc. this guy looks like he's figuring it out as he goes so between the tips above and the vid should be a good guide.
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T52L1xi74nM

Comment

Working...
                X