Pro-gun myths busted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
    I would venture another factor is other countries have a more homogenous culture.

India is anything but homogenous and has banned gun ownership. Gun crime there is minimal - less than 1 gun death/100,000 people (US is around 10, I think?).
    2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
      So why do places with absolutely strict gun laws - Japan, Singapore, etc - have almost no crime?

There are about a billion factors at play here. Gun/gun ownership is but one variable.
      I aggree more than just firearms are factors but only to a point.

Could it be that many of those asian countries have strict and harsh punnishments in general for even petty crimes. Like a cell you can't stand up in or lie flat in (japan) don't some still practic, how shall we midevil style punishments. (India). Also many of those asian culture's have societal pressure to act honorably above al else. I don't suppose that has anything to do with such things. Not to mention this is not just about gun crime but viloent crime in general.

If you had bothered to read the article or study, you would know gun deaths in the usa have been on the decline to 4.4 per 100k. Down from 5ish per 100k in 2007. That's a lot less than 110. ;)
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post

Could it be that many of those asian countries have strict and harsh punnishments in general for even petty crimes. Like a cell you can't stand up in or lie flat in (japan) don't some still practic, how shall we midevil style punishments. (India). Also many of those asian culture's have societal pressure to act honorably above al else. I don't suppose that has anything to do with such things. Not to mention this is not just about gun crime but viloent crime in general.

If you had bothered to read the article or study, you would know gun deaths in the usa have been on the decline to 4.4 per 100k. Down from 5ish per 100k in 2007. That's a lot less than 110. ;)
        You know as well as I do that punishment isn't a deterrent for most criminals. You've said as much yourself. Culture has some impact, of course, but like I said there are a billion factors at play. Is gun ownership the only reason we have a lot of gun crime/death in the US? No, not at all. But I expect its contribution is statistically significant.

I read the article (practice what you preach, eh) and gun death stats everywhere else seem to point to 10 per 100,000 people in the US. I'm more inclined to believe the American Journal of Medicine (October 2013) than a research institute with an agenda.

Anyway, maybe I should spend less time on this forum and more time taking selfies of me and my beard....think how quickly I could get to 10k posts.
        1996 Civic white/black
        1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Yes, India has done an outstanding job using "medieval style punishments" to deter rape, haven't they?
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Hey I agree buddy such crimes in male dominated societies like much of india go largely unreported and punished. Yes its a huge issue there no doubt. Maybe they should let women carry firearms as a way to have a chance to fight back and equalize the force invloved from a larger male or grup of them. Honest question what is the viloent crime rates per capita in india anyway

The ama has no agennda.................. am I mistaken in remebering their endorsment of the aca and claims the overall cost of health care was going to drop as a result??? Fairly sure the fucking FBI puts the gun death rates at upper 4.x low 5.x per 100k as well.
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Hey I agree buddy such crimes in male dominated societies like much of india go largely unreported and punished. Yes its a huge issue there no doubt. Maybe they should let women carry firearms as a way to have a chance to fight back and equalize the force invloved from a larger male or grup of them

The ama has no agennda.................. am I mistaken in remebering their endorsment of the aca and claims the overall cost of health care was going to drop as a result???
              Wha wha wha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

The ama has no agennda.................. am I mistaken in remebering their endorsment of the aca and claims the overall cost of health care was going to drop as a result??? Fairly sure the fucking FBI puts the gun death rates at upper 4.x low 5.x per 100k as well.
                So they were wrong on healthcare costs...That doesn't mean they have an agenda.

Anyway, FBI rates, I believe, are for murders and not gun-related deaths. Even still, 4-5/100k is roughly 10 times the average of other wealthy industrialized countries.
                1996 Civic white/black
                1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
                  So they were wrong on healthcare costs...That doesn't mean they have an agenda.

Anyway, FBI rates, I believe, are for murders and not gun-related deaths. Even still, 4-5/100k is roughly 10 times the average of other wealthy industrialized countries.
                  Gun deaths do not mean murders. This is where the debate gets so screwed up. No one keeps apples to compare to other apples.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                  Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                  Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                    Gun deaths do not mean murders. This is where the debate gets so screwed up. No one keeps apples to compare to other apples.

I know that. That's why I differentiated the two in my post.

How was that not clear?
                    1996 Civic white/black
                    1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                      I like guns. I grew up in a house with guns in it, it was assumed that all our neighbours had guns as well. While I don't really believe in carrying sidearms around I'm not 'afraid' of guns in general and I think that the laws here are obviously doing something. Would I like to own a semi auto AK based rifle or shotgun? Hell yeah! Am I mad that I can't because of the gun laws? Not really.

As someone who grew up around, handling and being taught about guns (My Christmas present when I was 12 was a rifle), I feel as though I have a respect for firearms but not some sort of worship for them as it seems many that are labeled as 'gun nuts' do.
                      This describes me, but in addition I really hate when people try to make some argument that they just have to have a 30 round mag in their ar or ak and how they is gon' git that thar fedrel gubment when they come fir mah guns.

Its not the 1700's anymore gentlemen, the days of overthrowing your government by force are over, the military industrial complex is too large, too close, and too well armed to give two fucks about your idea of rebellion

Also subd.
                      BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Comment

This is an interesting article regarding the source of guns used in crimes
                        Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

It's probably true, but pardon me for not completely trusting the BATFE, cited as ATF in this article. They are apparently this article's only source. The conclusion is interesting, I suppose. "Let's be honest. If someone wants a gun, it's obvious the person will not have difficulty buying a gun, either legally or through the extensive United States black market."
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by JinormusJ
                          Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                          1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                          1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                          1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                          1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Are they attempting to imply that private party trannsactions are a black market? ???

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                              This is an interesting article regarding the source of guns used in crimes

"two people walk into a gun store, one selects a firearm, and then the other uses identification for the purchase and pays for the gun. Or, several underage people walk into a store and an adult with them makes the purchases. Both of these are illegal activities."
                              So it's illegal for a father to buy his <18 yo son a gun for his birthday?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                                So it's illegal for a father to buy his <18 yo son a gun for his birthday?
                                You seem to be missing the point of the article. It's not an indictment of lawful owners buying and selling firearms to one another, it's a refutation of the claim that most guns used in crimes are stolen guns.

The evidence they're talking about is that most guns used in the commission of a crime come into possession of the criminal via straw purchases.

The point isn't that it's illegal to buy a gun for one's son, but that if the youth uses the gun in a commission of a crime it's more likely that the gun was bought for him instead of him stealing it.
                                Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Working...
                                X