E30 diesel swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 diesel swap

Hello ! Firstly I want to apologize in advance if I posted this into the wrong section or if this was posted before . I got this crazy idea this days of swapping my regular 1.6 liter engine from my E30 with a diesel engine from e46 . More exactly with M47TUD20 . My question is if that is possible ?! In fact what i actually need to buy beside the engine ? Idk , if you guys got the knowledge on how to do that or what i need to buy , to modify please tell me ! Any advice is good ! Here where i live isn't a common thing to do what i want to do and the forums are kinda dead or nobody is willing to help .. Ty !

I think I've seen a M51 done before, but thats it. I don't know how much help you'll get on here since diesels are very uncommon in North America.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

My brother inlaw had an e39 525tds with the M51 in it, and it was a great car. Would be excellent in an e30, around the same power as a 323i, but much more torque. In the e39, he used to cruise at 80mph and get 43mpg, so the economy should be pretty good in a lightweight e30.

Anyway - here's some guy in the UK who did one:

The M51 from an e34 would be front sump, so bolting it in would be the same as an M50 swap - then you'd need to deal with the wiring and fuel system.

With the M47, you'd have a rear sump, so either fabrication would be needed, or you could try to fit an M42 sump and oil pickup? The timing chain is at the back of the engine I think on those, so probably little chance of the M42 sump working.

Anyway - could be doable, but it's a pretty undocumented swap so you'd be largely on your own.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
      X