Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win10 and RS232/PL3203....how are you guys datalogging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win10 and RS232/PL3203....how are you guys datalogging?

How are you guys whom are running Windows 10 and a PL2303 to the serial port of your standalones keeping the communication alive long enough to datalog?

I can get the initial communication to start and the device is recognized in the software (TunerProRT) but then it loses connection like it's timing out after a couple of seconds and I have to replug the RS232 adapter back into the USB port for it to recognize...before it disconnects a couple seconds later, again.

I don't believe this is the dreaded PL2303 obsoleted unit/driver issue as this RS232/PL2303 is brand new and compliant to updated drivers for Windows 10. Plus I don't get the code 10 error under device drivers. It does have initial communication, for a little while.

At first I thought I was battling EMI issues with the running engine. But the problem persists even while plugged in on the computer bench away from the vehicle.

Anyone else experience this? Thanks!

Parts involved: Gateway PC and Lenovo Ideatab both on Windows 10.
    Insignia NS-PU99501 "RS232/PL3203" serial to USB adapter with updated/current drivers. USB type A female to Micro USB male for use with the Lenovo.
    Bailey Engineering MAF Translator Pro (Updated to software version 5.27)
    TunerProRT v5 software, using the provided MAFT-Pro 5.27 XDF and ADX
    Last edited by Mykk540i/6; 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM.

Update:

The serial adapter works flawlessly on my Windows XP computer I've got out in the garage. So it's a Windows 10, or 10 drivers thing. Still looking for input. Thank you

Comment

Was it working with tunerstudio? I've been giving lots of tech support for win7+ using insignia and other prolific based cables. MAX232 usually works better with newer versions of windows than PL2303
      Last edited by squidmaster; 02-27-2017, 03:35 PM. Reason: 2303*

Comment

I don't have TunerStudio. Just TunerProRT and HPTuners (for OBDII GM tuning).

I uninstalled the driver from Prolifics site and installed the one from Insignia, which is likely the same thing under a different name...it didn't help.

Comment

tunerstudio is free, might be worth a try.

if not, get a max232 cable, or try this one https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matte...rds=usb+to+db9

Comment

Looks like TunerStudio is for MS? Does it work on the OE type .BIN I've been tuning on my Ostrich?

I've got an Ostrich 2.0 for tuning in the 404DME for the M60, and a MAFt-Pro for Speed Density conversion
            Last edited by Mykk540i/6; 02-27-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry you said standalone and db9 so I was assuming you were running MS.

There are a few plugins for tunerpro that allow you to datalog using an ostrich (not a standalone, not even a piggyback btw). Though chances are that you will have to code your own plugin. Otherwise we end up making standalone datalogging units and manually wiring the sensors into. You can make your own or buy unit that exist already like TIDA or Fluke.

The MAFT-Pro isn't even considered a full piggyback-- it barely does anything. I don't understand why people even buy those instead of MS or any other standalone.

Comment

Yes I'm familiar with the terminology, the serial-usb adapter problems are for the MAFT as the Ostrich uses direct USB and has never given me a problem.

I'm sure there are better units out there, but for the cost (Found two MAFT-Pro units used for $100 for both) I wanted to give it a try. It is actually a rather versatile piece of tuning equipment once you get passed the getting to know each other stage.

I've got mine set up to mimic actual datalogged MAF voltages on the 17x15 cell grid of MAP KpA vs RPM set up for 1BAR and it works much better for me this way then in Simulator mode. It's more like a AEM FIC in MAF emulator mode this way.

Comment

idk about anyone else, but my serial usb adapter works flawlessly datalogging on my lenovo yoga 2 pro running windows 10

Comment

Working...
                  X