Rough idle help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough idle help!

So I fixed my surging idle issue, turned out I had a hose from the throttle body connected to the intake boot. I capped off the hose and surging idle is gone but now I have a rough idle they I can't figure out. Here is a video of the issue, Im hoping someone can help me figure it out. It smells like it's running rich.

Car is a 325e with 323i head, 325i intake and throttle body. Still using all eta electronics

Anyone?

Comment

Well, surging idle is back when the car gets to operating temperature. Can anyone help me out and tell me what could be causing this issue

Comment

a surgin idle is typically a vac leak. Go to autozone or whatever, get a can of brake cleaner/carb cleaner and spray around all the vacuum hoses plus the intake manifold gasket.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          a surgin idle is typically a vac leak. Go to autozone or whatever, get a can of brake cleaner/carb cleaner and spray around all the vacuum hoses plus the intake manifold gasket.
          You won't find a small leak using this method. Do a smoke test with the exhaust plugged.

Comment

So, what you're saying is fuck spending three bucks on a can of brake cleaner, just go spend 150 bucks on a smoke test?

ha, well, the carb cleaner method turns up leaks pretty well, especially if it's a leak big enough to make your car idle that shitty.

I'd spend 3 bucks before I took it to a shop and paid whatever they charge to get a smoke test done... but you know, that's just my two cents.
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I'll try the carb cleaner first and see how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                So, what you're saying is fuck spending three bucks on a can of brake cleaner, just go spend 150 bucks on a smoke test?

ha, well, the carb cleaner method turns up leaks pretty well, especially if it's a leak big enough to make your car idle that shitty.

I'd spend 3 bucks before I took it to a shop and paid whatever they charge to get a smoke test done... but you know, that's just my two cents.
                I make my own smoke machine for a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                  I make my own smoke machine for a few bucks.
                  How?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmyac28 View Post
                    How?
                    Youtube...there are hundreds of videos on how to make smoke machine. I made one with the burning oiled-rag.

In this video I make a quick backyard smoke machine and use it to find vacuum leaks on a 2004 F150 with a 4.2L engine. A smoke machine is a great tool to hav...
                    Last edited by dnguyen1963; 04-10-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

^^^ This Guy ^^^

I built one of these for about $25, works perfectly. I finessed the design with a HF low pressure regulator ($5) and use cheap cigars as a smoke source.

Don't use joss sticks as a smoke source, makes your car smell like a tarts boudoir.....

Comment

I think my brake booster might me one of the issues, I disconnected and plugged the vacuum line going to it and did the penny mod on the ICV, idle is a lot better but still a little rough. The car smells like is running rich, would I just need to change the distributor cap and rotor? Could it be that I'm not getting enough spark? Also the cars exhaust is loose and leakin, if the leak is before the O2 sensor would that cause the mixture to be off and cause it to run rich?

Here is a video of how it's running now
                        Last edited by Jimmyac28; 04-18-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

1) adjust/check valves
                          2) fuel pressure test
                          3) check compression
                          4) check all the fuel injectors to make sure any arent leaking/sticking
                          5) smoke test!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X