Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California temporary tags

Hope this is the right spot-

I'll be picking an E30 up in California and driving it back to my home state. From my understanding, California doesn't issue "temp tags," rather, you can drive on the plates the car is on as long as
    1: the title is signed to your name
    2: it is insured in your name
    3: you have a bill of sale

Can someone confirm this for me? Thanks all.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Is the car registered non-op? If so you need a 1 day transport permit.

But honestly.. just have proof on insurance and paperwork to show you just took ownership of the car.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

That's right. Bill of sale, title and insurance. If the tags are good, though.
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Just pay to transport it. $900? versus $450 in just GAS + flight + food + hotels + possible break down doesn't make it worth it IMHO.
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
          Just pay to transport it. $900? versus $450 in just GAS + flight + food + hotels + possible break down doesn't make it worth it IMHO.
          A good ol' adventure never hurt. Also splitting it with a friend.

Thanks guys.
          Originally posted by TSI
          OEM+

Comment

California will give you a 60 day permit but you have to pay the registration fees and have a failed smog and have the proof, otherwise you get the 1 day operating permit that is good for 60 days from issue. I have one for my car and drive it back and forth for repairs on the same 1 day permit, if the police pulls me over all I have to do is enter the date in the indicated box and it'll make me legal, but I still haven't gotten pulled over so I've been reusing my 1 day ;).
            I am not sick, I am twisted. Sick makes it sound like there is a cure.

1991 318is Diamantschwarz Metallic
            1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

Wouldn't you get NJ temp tags, or am I mistaken? Just makes more sense to get temp tags from the state you're going to register and insure it in, IMO.

Comment

Driving from CA to NJ? Seems like a lot to put on it after picking it up. You'll probably end up changing the oil twice along the way hah.
                If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a Saloon" - WC Fields

Garage
                1991 325i
                1972 R75/5 Cafe

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerR75 View Post
                  Driving from CA to NJ? Seems like a lot to put on it after picking it up. You'll probably end up changing the oil twice along the way hah.
                  My current E30 does about 3500 miles every month and a half as my DD and has been doing so for a while now rather reliably, if this car can't handle a 3100 mile trip I'll be a little disappointed haha.
                  Originally posted by TSI
                  OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                    Wouldn't you get NJ temp tags, or am I mistaken? Just makes more sense to get temp tags from the state you're going to register and insure it in, IMO.
                    I'm not sure, but that may require me having the title in my hand at the NJ DMV.
                    Originally posted by TSI
                    OEM+

Comment

wow, lots of hate for driving across the country. I drove my car to SF and back without any problems. My maintenance was up to date and I changed the oil/spark plugs while on the west coast. A regular oil change interval is 3k miles and the distance between the two coasts is 3k miles... And you can go longer if you use synthetic :)

OP, CA is a state where the plate goes with the car regardless of new owners. Ie when you buy a used car in CA, you keep the plates that are on it (unless you have vanity plates etc). As long as the plates have current registration tags, it's legal for you to drive. There is no need for temp plates, no bullshit. Just have a signed title, bill of sale, and the previous owner's reg slip with you to show the officer just in case.

For what it's worth I drove a car in CA for six months before smogging it and registering it in my name. No problems at the DMV, at the smog etc. The stickers were current so I wasn't hassled.

Call your insurance company ahead of time and let them know you're driving the car across the country and intend to register it in your home state of NJ.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Drive with a bill of sale and the title signed in your name. If the tags are current you won't be bothered.

Trust me I know.

Comment

Anyone know how long I can drive on these california tags for? Got it back here to the east coast, but I have to wait a month for my plates to come in, haha. It's no big deal, my other E30 is still functional and registered. Didn't know the rules for Cali.
                          Originally posted by TSI
                          OEM+

Comment

If you're waiting for your plates, i'm assuming all the fees have been paid, so you can drive it without any problems until your plates come in
                            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                            Q
                            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

You can drive on them until the tag expires

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                              X