No announcement yet.

Project Izzy: The AWD Money Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I live in Williamsburg, what junkyards have you found around Hampton Roads that have the occasional BMW? I haven't found any yet..

Comment

Well since this thread is bumped to the top I guess I should update it. I took my 325i in for a little bit of work and to check out a rough idle. Well the rough idle turned out to be a bad piston ring.... or lack there of. It was a pain in the ass, but I tracked down a good engine and I'm dropping it off tomorrow to get installed. I'm also likely going to pick up a 5 speed swap to go along with it.

Originally posted by AlpineI View Post
      Hey, I live in Williamsburg, what junkyards have you found around Hampton Roads that have the occasional BMW? I haven't found any yet..
      Pick N Pull down here in VB has some stuff, but when ever its an e30 me and the 757 guys usually rip that thing apart in a matter of a couple of days. There was one a couple in the yard just last week, but there wasn't much when I last say it.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Picked up a 5 speed today!!

I also got to see everyone favorite V12 e34 touring in person.

I'm hopeful major progress will be made on the car in the next week, but in the mean time I'm going to browse craigslist for e34 tourings and check the yards for 750i's
        My Garage
        Feedback

Comment

Had no idea you had a build thread for your E30's.

Excited to see the style 5's finally get installed.

Read your whole thread. Makes me want an iX now!
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
            Had no idea you had a build thread for your E30's.

Excited to see the style 5's finally get installed.

Read your whole thread. Makes me want an iX now!
            I actually just bought something to help me get those Style 5's on the car ;D
            My Garage
            Feedback

Comment

5 lug??? :popcorn:

EDIT scratch that it's an IX, so 1 piece style 5 poke in front not an issue... adapters should work fine!
              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                5 lug??? :popcorn:

EDIT scratch that it's an IX, so 1 piece style 5 poke in front not an issue... adapters should work fine!
                Actually the ix is staying on stock weaves (Maybe some 16" Alpina's down the line but thats another story). The style 5's are going on the 325i and yes I will be going 5 lug :D

This is also why I need to make a separate build thread for the 325i
                My Garage
                Feedback

Comment

Well I just found out that my car won't be ready for another week.... To cheer me up I broke out some parts and took a picture with them all together. The calipers should be on there way, but I still need to buy rotors, pads, and lines.

My Garage
                  Feedback

Comment

Well I finally got my baby back!!! Its been a few hard months struggling with school, no car, and trying to find an engine to get this thing back on the road. I'm just happy its all over with. The new engine pulls really strong and the 5 speed really just changes the car. I didn't mind the auto, hell I even liked it a bit, but the 5 speed just makes it so much more enjoyable. I also had them do the Z3 steering rack swap while the engine was out and JESUS.... I'm falling more in love with car every mile. I also had a bunch of extra parts like control arms, control arm bushings, tie rods, ect... sitting in my trunk and they installed those for me at no extra charge. I honestly can't say enough great things about Racewerks out in Virginia Beach. My bill should have been a lot higher for the amount of hours they put into this thing.

Now onto the next part.... What to do with it? I've been collecting parts for my "Ultimate E30" however I've basically come to the realization that I'm half assing my dream e30. My ultimate e30 isn't a coupe, its a touring and I don't want to finish the build and regret using the "wrong" chassis. So now I'm kind of stuck in what direction to take this car. I think for now I'm just going to make a build thread for it. Keep fixing it up and doing things to it and see where it takes me.
                    My Garage
                    Feedback

Comment

So I finally made a thread for my lil bundle of Cirrus Blue fun

Project Stitch: The 1980's car with a 21st Century Spin
                      My Garage
                      Feedback

Comment

I'm on the exact same page as you with getting the 'right' chassis. I bought a local-to-me E30 sedan to see if that would solve my E30 cravings, but it has missed the mark by miles.

My mind can only picture me spending my time/money building a RHD touring. Any other E30 chassis just isn't making sense to me.
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I still have the same feelings towards finding the "right chassis" but I'm proceeding with the build as planned. I can't put my life on hold to track down the "right" car. Imported cars are just to expensive and tracking one down and importing one myself is a huge gamble on my part. I still love my car and I don't want to just sell it because I think a touring will be more practical.
                          My Garage
                          Feedback

Comment

Guess who's back!!!! I finally bit the bullet and with some financial help from my dad I took Izzy into a shop a few weeks ago and she is now back in Norfolk with me. She has all new vacuum lines, new power steering pump, lines, and a rebuilt rack. I had them install my new tie rods, control arms, and control arm bushings I've had laying around. Plus a fresh new inspection sticker. I don't know whats next for her. I want to button up all of the small things that are still wrong and proceed from there. I have big plans for her, but a lack of time, money, and space is really hurting me right now.
                            My Garage
                            Feedback

Comment

Looks great!

I still have no idea why anyone would want a RHD E30 though. These cars aren't British or Japanese.. Plus the people who live in those countries usually wish they were LHD as it makes a mess of the brakes, steering and headers.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks! If I did ever go down the touring path I'd have to get a LHD one. I don't see how anyone could live with a RHD one. However the touring bug has kind of left my system. I'd still love one, but I'm happy with my current line up of cars.
                                My Garage
                                Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X