What is this relay and wire? Whe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this relay and wire? Whe

Hey guys. So I did the 2.7i swap and cannot identify this relay nor where the wire goes. I did the build and swap, it started but wouldn't run, similar to shutting the car off. This was without the wire connected to anything. I was rushing. I just got back from my deployment and cannot, for the life of me, remember where that wire connects to. Can you guys help? It's an 1988 325is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

any relays missing from the fusebox or the relay block by the AFM? Something may have been bypassed/re-wired for some reason.

Otherwise it could be for something aftermarket.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I don't think that there is anything done aftermarket to the car as the first owner kept it 100% OEM. Also as you can see all other relays are where they should be. I know that I've seen some other e30's with that relay but never in person. If it helps she was built in May of '88, so facelift without plastic bumpers. Oh one other thing. The wire is 'hot' while the car is on. And it is wired or housed with the thermostat wires.

Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas? I've got injectors arriving today and would love to get the car running by next weekend.

Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

That's not factory, at least I've never seen one like that before - could have been a dealer installed option. That is a BMW relay and relay plug. Maybe a block heater, or alarm system, or something like that.

Given that the wire is brown and has a ring on it, I'd assume it's a ground. There a few different ground points you can use, by the length and position, you probably want the one on the passenger wheel well, behind the strut tower.

Comment

Ok I'll try that. Also got the car running but the idle is rough and the car shakes off and on. Didn't r2 the TPS or the ICV. Re-soldered/spliced a new sensor connector and it now starts.

Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

No idea. Not factory.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Yeah. That's what I'm getting. I'll eventually figure it out.

Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X