What is this called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this called?

What's up rev, been on here awhile but I've never posted so here it goes, ran my 86 ETA up a curb this last week, and I need help figuring out what this is. I've changed out my oil pan three times already and have never had to change this out as it's never been hit, can't find any part numbers or a name for it, any info on how to replace it would help too, it's the small piece right next to the oil sump, thanks
    Attached Files

As far as replacing it goes I'm pretty sure that you just grab the hex part with a wrench and unscrew it. If you broke that part off, vice grips will be your friend.
    As far as name and part number goes, it's number 20 in this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_0119
    sigpic

Comment

Lol how have you had to replace your pain 3 times. You need to drive better.

To remove it you just need a wrench on the hex part and loosen it.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        This. Or raise your car.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
          This. Or raise your car.
          I lifted my engine after the third charm, and haven't had any issues since, but this last time my steering shaft joint came apart on a hard turn

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweatydad_ View Post
              I lifted my engine after the third charm, and haven't had any issues since, but this last time my steering shaft joint came apart on a hard turn
              Wait, you spaced your engine up in the chassis? That would not be a good idea.
              sigpic

Comment

This is going to be a good thread.

"Sweatydad"~~~~ *standing ovation*
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
                  And why is that?

Comment

It's more common than you would believe, both in e30's and e36's.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Our universal BMW engine risers are designed for extremely low BMWs with less than ideal oil pan clearance. Get your BMW performance parts from Condor Speed Shop!

Comment

And why is that?
                        To put it simply, you are changing your drive-line angles. This will increase the stress on parts like the giubo and center support bearing. Depending on how much you raised it, it could cause increased wear on and vibrations from your u-joints as well. Also, if you have a stock exhaust it could put increased stress on your exhaust mounts.
                        If you wanted to raise the engine in the chassis properly you would also have to raise the rear sub-frame and the center support bearing the same amount.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post

To remove it you just need a wrench on the hex part and loosen it.
                          I can't, I drive wreckless, well at least until I wreck. Thanks, I curcumsized the end of it so I wasn't sure how it was coming out, but vice grips should work like the guy above said

Comment

I can't, I drive wreckless, well at least until I wreck.
                            Please sell your e30 and go back Honda's you clearly aren't deserving of these cars nor do you respect them or the road.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              It's more common than you would believe, both in e30's and e36's.
                              I see. I guess you can file this in the list of things I don't like because I think like an engineer.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X