No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth, I replaced as many washers/bushings in the linkage assembly with nuts that had the necessary inner diameters and it's significantly better than the stock UUC setup I had in there, and a little more stiff than the components for the M-coupe shifter in my e28

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Any modifications to get a Z3 2.8 shifter to work in an E30 (325i)

Comment

I've been pondering this for a while:

I'm doing an m50 swap and using the g250 trans/e36 shift linkage. My car is an 86 eta, so I had the early plate shifter in there. How can I mount the rear of the e36 shift carrier to the trans tunnel? Does my car have provisions for the later aluminum carrier built in?

Thanks
        -Peter
        '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
        '91 318is slicktop project
        '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
        '00 Tundra

Comment

I believe there will be a mounting area for the late model rubber mount, then the rest is simply bolt in. z3 shifter fits.

88' m3
          91' 318is

Comment

The rear carrier for the e36 is a rubber filled cylinder with two slots on the sides that are supposed to clip into tangs on the body. I'm assuming those aren't there. Do you mean that I have to get a late model e30 mount and use that?
            -Peter
            '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
            '91 318is slicktop project
            '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
            '00 Tundra

Comment

yea, e30 one works great.

88' m3
              91' 318is

Comment

I believe #7 is what your looking for.

88' m3
                91' 318is

Comment

I read years ago on either R3V or E30Tech about an X3 shifter being the ideal shifter. It had a short bottom end and a nice long top end so that it was close to the steering wheel, you wouldn't be required to reach so far to grab a little nub.

Anybody remember which year or model X3 that was? Been searching. . . no luck.

Is this the one? 25113411923 - http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...66&hg=25&fg=05

Shit, $84 from PP.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilomph View Post
                    I read years ago on either R3V or E30Tech about an X3 shifter being the ideal shifter. It had a short bottom end and a nice long top end so that it was close to the steering wheel, you wouldn't be required to reach so far to grab a little nub.

Anybody remember which year or model X3 that was? Been searching. . . no luck.

Is this the one? 25113411923 - http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...66&hg=25&fg=05

Shit, $84 from PP.
                    You may be referring to the X5 lever.

IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Comment

;)

Comment

Do you have the x5 shifter still?

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                            Do you have the x5 shifter still?
                            I removed it from my setup... I have a ZF 320 in there and didn't like the throw's. Having said that, I will likely be installing it in my E28 though. It has the getrag G265/6 in it, so the shifting should be crisp with that.

Comment

I installed the z3 shift lever along with all new bushings, and I am disappointed with the results. I don't like the feel of the thing, every once in a while I shift into wrong gear, it wasn't like that before. I prefer the factory and will be switching back next time I have trans out to try it out with all new parts.
                              '87 325is [because racecar]
                              '81 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD {summer dd}
                              '97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited (winter dd)

Comment

bumping this as I am looking for a Z3 1.9 lever or similar if anyone has one they swapped out let me know. Put in WTB with no action

Comment

Working...
                                X