m50 nv No Start, Have Spark and Fuel. UPDATE: Unusual Compression Readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 nv No Start, Have Spark and Fuel. UPDATE: Unusual Compression Readings

I was driving down a backroad when my 24v e30 died on me. It basically just cut out. I pulled off to the side and got a tow home. I have determined that the fuel pump is operating and that I have spark. It was running fine until it simply cut off. Most threads on here seem to deal with swaps not starting in the first place. Any ideas? It randomly started one time when I was troubleshooting. I only let it run for a few seconds and then cut it off (bad idea, i know) to go eat lunch. When I came back, it did not start. I should say, it acts like it wants to"hit" occasionally. When I pulled a spark plug, it was drenched in fuel. So, r3v, what do you think?
    Last edited by KI4UJO; 01-29-2015, 08:08 PM.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Do you have a check engine light on? How did you find that you still have spark?
    Current
    99 328i (Sold)
    91 318is M50B25TU
    89 325ix (Parted out)
    87 325is (Parted out)
    95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

Comment

Yes. I should have mentioned that. When I perform a stomp test, I get a 1222. If I unplug the MAF, it does exactly the same thing. I verified spark by pulling cylinder 1's coil pack, sticking the plug back in it, and grounding it to the front engine lift eylet.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

If it's drenched in fuel, you need to dry it out. You can either remove all of the plugs and crank over the motor to get rid of the extra fuel or just remove the fuel pump fuse and crank it over. If the cylinders get too soaked, you may loose compression. If that happens, put a little motor oil in the plug holes.
          On my 525, I have to pull the fuse and crank it over while pressing the pedal. When the motor starts to fire up, I put the fuse back in to keep it running. Luckily I can barely reach the fuse and the key at the same time.

Comment

I performed a compression test today. Here are the results

1: 90
            2: 95
            3: 90
            4: 90
            5: 50
            6: 140

Keep in mind that this motor was running fine until it died on me. Before installing, all cylinders tested in the 130 - 140 range. Is there anything that could give me a false reading? It seems unusual to me that 5 of 6 cylinders could lose compression at the same time. Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
            X