Questions for MegaSquirt People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for MegaSquirt People

OK, I am starting to get the itch again. The V2.2 board I built years ago has some issues, and I think I may just retire it. Actually, I think the issues are a blown MAX232 chip messing up everything else due to the charge pump circuitry attached to it. Either way, the V3 PCB with the MSII controller looks like it can offer some advantages in both quality, and control. I know a number of people run MS, more so than BFc so I am hoping to get some insight.

So, the questions (regardless of version):
    1 - Has anyone managed to run the speedometer from MS?
    2 - Has anyone gotten their whole gauge cluster running from MS?
    3 - Which MS are you running (MSI, MSI -Extra!, MSII, MSII -Extra!)?
    4 - Are you controlling fuel, spark, or both?
    5 - Did you get the stock PWM-driven ICV working with it, or are you using something else?

I actually don't mind ditching the Motronic completely if I can run the gauge cluster with MS. A guy on Bimmerforums is selling some adapters that basically let you plug the OEM harness in to a MS board (damn, I wish I knew where to get Bosch connector bodies!) which leads me to believe that it is perfectly doable.

I know I will not really gain anything in terms of power, but I bet I can pull some sweet mileage, and actually take advantage of the wide-band O2 sensor I have on there. Supposedly throttle response improves too, although I am not sure by how much over the MAF setup I am running now.

Thanks Megasquirters!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

You should really check out http://e30tech.com/ for MegaSquirt discussions. The maker of that adapter board, Goathumper - Ryan, is on e30tech.

To answer some of your questions:
    1 - I haven't, but nando (Chris) has. As have many others over at e30tech.
    2 - You will get both the speedometer and tech working fine with MS - the gas mileage gauge I'm not sure about.
    3 - I'll be running MSII V3 Board with MS2Extra - will be running both spark and fuel. nando has been running spark and fuel for 6+ months successfully and is migrating over to wasted spark right now.
    4 - ^^
    5 - Yes, this is most definitely possible. There are a few options for this - first is the adapter board you mention. I have it, actually, and have it fully assembled. You don't need to buy motronic connectors - you can salvage it from an old ECU just fine. I used copper wick and my soldering iron to remove solder from each pin - worked great!

OR - you can get the Glens Garage PWM Idle Valve Board: http://www.glensgarage.com/catalog/w...oard-p-79.html

The glens garage board will make the stock ICV work wonderfully and in addition gives you a spot to solder on two more ignition drivers for wasted spark.

I'll be posting my setup later. I won't be near my car until early next month - but I have my MSII V3 board assembled and my adapter board assembled and I'm currently working on getting everything cleanly installed into my stock motronic case. Testing will occur over the next week.

Hope I helped some! :)
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

My speedometer and tach both work fine. The only thing that doesn't work on my cluster is the economy gauge.
      I running a V3 MS2/extra with COP wasted spark. I've been running it for about 3 months or so now. I'm using the stock idle control valve thanks to the Glen's Garage Idle Board. I've also got knock control, just need to get some new sensors.
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Working...
      X