No announcement yet.

MS vs WAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great! that is what i needed to hear. less $ output for the end result. it still keeps getting cheaper!
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

ok, so i went on the DIYautotune site and i am confused again.
      just what do i need to order?????????

i want to have it fit in the motronic ecu box and i want to have everything feature wise that i have talked about in the thread (wasted spark, seqential injection, MAP sensor, ability to run boost, basically EVERY feature that is avail and would be applicable to my car) so it needs to be like a plug and play for use with the stock harness.

anyone want to hold me hand and walk me through what i need to order????

please..........

if it is not possable to fit everything in the stock case, can i get it so i can plug the stock harness into what ever case that i need to use????
      Last edited by der affe; 08-08-2009, 12:52 AM.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

If you plan to buy a plug and play unit contact lifeiskaos on this forum
        or do a search on e30tech.com, there's tons more info on ms there.

Then there's the MS forums.
        Megasquirt EFI fuel injection and ignition control. Product information, support forums, documentation and downloads for Megasquirt and Microsquirt ECU. Official site for MS1/Extra, MS2/Extra and Megasquirt-3.

Comment

i've actually sent him pms on both fourm with no responce yet.

if there is decent instructions i can build and solder everything myself, but i was under the impression that i could go on the site and order "x" kit with "x" features for a BMW and pay up then wait for the kit.....yea, not so much

Comment

There's also Ely (RS4pro) and Dynotech motorsports. I have MS in my convertible and it does it's job very well but it is not without it's quirks. Sometimes it doesn't fire up right away. Cold start enrichment is a bit off. I have a random off throttle hick up which is likely a lose ground or something of that nature and finally you lose your OBC and MPG functions. These things aren't a huge deal vs the performance gain but still I like things to work as they should. You keep these basic features when you run a piggyback type setup with the stock DME. It's upto you to decide if the trade offs are worth going full standalone.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

well i have a euro clock so i don't really care about that.

when you say you loose the MPG, are you talking about the gauge in the cluster or the obc function?

Comment

Oh, no worries then. I was referring to the MPG gauge in the cluster but few people care about that anyway.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

i am running 24lb injectors now, so the gauge is off anyways

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                    ok, so i went on the DIYautotune site and i am confused again.
                    just what do i need to order?????????

i want to have it fit in the motronic ecu box and i want to have everything feature wise that i have talked about in the thread (wasted spark, seqential injection, MAP sensor, ability to run boost, basically EVERY feature that is avail and would be applicable to my car) so it needs to be like a plug and play for use with the stock harness.

anyone want to hold me hand and walk me through what i need to order????

please..........

if it is not possable to fit everything in the stock case, can i get it so i can plug the stock harness into what ever case that i need to use????
                    you could always email or call them... like I said, they have lots of experience on M20s so I'm sure they could hook you up with everything you need.

I haven't looked on their site in a while but there were two versions of the adapter board - one that allows you to put everything inside the case very easily and another that would be a little tight. you'd want the newer version of this board (it's very slick, there's a thread with pics on e30tech).

this one:
                    Last edited by nando; 08-08-2009, 08:33 AM.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                      Sometimes it doesn't fire up right away. Cold start enrichment is a bit off. I have a random off throttle hick up which is likely a lose ground or something of that nature and finally you lose your OBC and MPG functions. These things aren't a huge deal vs the performance gain but still I like things to work as they should. You keep these basic features when you run a piggyback type setup with the stock DME. It's upto you to decide if the trade offs are worth going full standalone.
                      so adjust them, lol. if it doesn't fire up right away your priming pulse is too short. warmup is pretty simple to adjust as well, you want it to be about 1 point richer than normal (and you can adjust it in real time as the car warms up, and extrapolate the rest of the curve from there). You can't blame your standalone for having issues that are caused by the tuner. ;)

also, talk to hoveringuy if you want a working OBC, I have one of his modules and it works like stock. works with basically any size injector too.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thanks nando. at least i have some idea of what i need to ask in the way of questions when italk to them on monday

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          so adjust them, lol. if it doesn't fire up right away your priming pulse is too short. warmup is pretty simple to adjust as well, you want it to be about 1 point richer than normal (and you can adjust it in real time as the car warms up, and extrapolate the rest of the curve from there). You can't blame your standalone for having issues that are caused by the tuner. ;)

also, talk to hoveringuy if you want a working OBC, I have one of his modules and it works like stock. works with basically any size injector too.
                          Thanks captain obvious lol. Well the thing is it's all random. It's not consistent. Most of the time it starts right up, and every now and then it doesn't. I'll have to play with it some more but that's the point I was trying to make. Not everyone wants to go thru all that. MS adds a lot of variables.
                          Hovering guy sells a board for MS users? I thought they were only for swaps.

Comment

but it's absolutely not random :p

there are 4 curves for starting your engine - priming pulse, cranking pulse, after start enrichment, and warmup enrichment. they should be tuned in that order, and each one depends on coolant temp. If they aren't all decently tuned together then it can seem like it's inconsistent because each one could be misbehaving at a different temp. if you are having trouble getting it to fire then either priming pulse or cranking pulse need to be increased at that specific coolant temp. ASE and warmup would be increased if the engine dies once it fires up.

he sells for both, they are basically the same too.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

does the overhead check panel still work with MS or is it just the OBC?

Comment

Overhead check panel works, it's just the OBC but like Nando stated, Hoveringuy sells a module to make it work. Just a matter of buying it and wiring it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X