Euthanasia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euthanasia

I am in the process of writing my research paper right now. I am doing it on Euthanasia, and would love to get some of your opinions on it. Are you for or against? and why?

I am talking about the euthanising of people, not animals. Much like what is going on with Terri Schiavo right now. So lay it down, are you for or against, and why?

2001 Reflex Silver VW Gti VR6
    Shock The World!
    I Haven't Lost The Ability To Type, Just The Ability To Hit The Backspace Key....
    www.pwned.nl Go Poon Some Noobs....

No one has any feelings on this subject? I know it's not cars, but this you guys have to have a view on this....

Shock The World!
    I Haven't Lost The Ability To Type, Just The Ability To Hit The Backspace Key....

Comment

Define euthanasia as you are using in your paper.

There are surely different levels of enthanasia. The Nazi concentration camp was in some circumstances considered euthanasia.

If one is able to eliminate all diseases and illness in the future (incl. HIV, blindness, mental dissabilities etc), euthanasia sounds very optimistic. But to what extent will euthanasia be enforced is the main concern. It would be highly problematic and controvercial to strip away the right to reproduction for those who possess any of the illness or dissabilities that the society want to eliminate.

When talking about euthanasia, you have to also take into account all the scientific advancement including stem cell research.

So I can't say whether if I'm for or against, because I'm unsure of exactly what you consider euthanasia. Give us more details.
      ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Letting someone die, or killing them, because one is in a vegetative state. I can't talk, move, eat, breathe, or hardly anything on my own. I require machines to help me do everything, and people to help with other things. There is no chance of me not being a vegetable.

Shock The World!

Comment

I guess I would say I'm for it on the grounds that the person to be euthanized were in a handicapped physical/mental state (due to illness or accident) and said person CLEARLY outlined their last wishes in writing, (a.k.a. living will) and so the surviving family members weren't faced with the situation Terri Schiavo's family is currently in.

In all honesty its a not a cut-n-dry choice. So many variables to these kinds of situations. I suppose it maybe easier for someone to decide if they had to make such a decision on behalf of an ailing family member in the past.

Jon

Edit: I do share the same thoughts as Minker if this effected me. If my continued survival was relied upon machines to do my breathing and feeding, and I was going to be limited in my physical & mental capacities if I ever "recovered" then I would want the plug pulled. No desire to hang on as a burden those who survive me.
          Rides...
          1991 325i - sold :(
          2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by MinkerVR6
            Letting someone die, or killing them, because one is in a vegetative state. I can't talk, move, eat, breathe, or hardly anything on my own. I require machines to help me do everything, and people to help with other things. There is no chance of me not being a vegetable.
            I def. think that it should be looked at on an individual basis. Each case would be different, but I am generally for it. I also tend to be in favor of doctor assisted suicide which is different from euthanasia.

It is a tough question and is in the forefront because of the Schiavo case. I know that if I was ever in that condition I would like my wife to have the authority to lay me to rest. I personally would not want machines to keep me alive when there is no hope for recovery. I think it is the individuals choice when it comes to doctor assisted suicide (for terminal illness) and the individuals guardian to make the decision (whether it be a husband, wife, or parents)

A little bit heavy of a subject for this board, but interesting none the less.
            Like I stated earlier each case would be so different they would have to be looked at individually.

Comment

I'm not asking you guys to give me a cut & dry answer, since it obviously depends on the scenario. I'm just looking for general feelings toward this, to help get some ideas flowing for my paper.

Shock The World!

Comment

I'm not asking you guys to give me a cut & dry answer, since it obviously depends on the scenario. I'm just looking for general feelings toward this, to help get some ideas flowing for my paper.
                I am happy to help, but what are you looking for. I said that I am generally for euthanasia and doctor assisted suicide. I said that I wouldn't want to be kept in that state and I said that I (if mentally able) or my wife should have the authority to lay me to rest.

If you have specific questions to help you get some thoughts going just let me know and I will answer back. good topic for a paper, is it a general paper or an opinion paper?

Comment

Originally posted by che13
                  I def. think that it should be looked at on an individual basis. Each case would be different, but I am generally for
                  agreed.
                  There are way too many different scenarios.

Minker, what exactly is your topic? Euthanasia is a huge topic, I'm sure you have it narrowed down.
                  Without knowing what you are writing about, it's almost impossible to help you.
                  ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

This is an argumentative paper. I'm arguing that Euthanasia should be used across the board if one wishes. Euthanasia is defined as "the act or oractice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment."

Now, like I said, I am for Euthanasia if it is in the conditions expressed in my above posts. Here are my arguable points so far:

If one is a vegetable
                    If one is in pain
                    If one wishes to be euthanised
                    If one is terminally ill and would rather die sooner than later

So, I guess basically, I'm just trying to justify reasons for using euthanasia in my paper. And I think that is what is hardest right now. I am kind of in the middle, as all of us are, and I'm just looking for some scenarios in which euthanasia is neccesary....(in your opinion)

** I am also in the dark on a thesis. If any of you think you have a good one, I'd appreciate it**

Shock The World!

Comment

This is an argumentative paper. I'm arguing that Euthanasia should be used across the board if one wishes. Euthanasia is defined as "the act or oractice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment."
                      I don't want to get too philosophical on you, but if I was writing that paper, I would first refute that definition for being highly problematic.
                      What is "terminal illness", and what is "incurable condition." Incurable condition is especially problematic.

If you agree that under that definition, euthanasia shoudl be practiced, those who suffer from bipolar disorder for example could be given the 'right' to suicide.
                      If a bipolar patient "wish" to end his/her life, one could undoubtedly argue that he/she is irrational.

Should one have the right to end his/her life even when lacking rationality? What is considered rational/irrational?

Therefore, I would be wholly against euthanasia under that particular definition. If you want to agree with it, I think that you should start by reforming that definition to something a little less ambiguous.

From what you have told us about the topic of the paper, imo, it would be a lot easier to argue against euthanasia.
                      Sorry that I can't help you on your argument, but it's something to think about.
                      ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

I see your point, and the definition is a little to braod. To me, "incurable disease" could be something like cancer. And when they start to get very very ill, that's when they wish to be euthanised.

So I look at it as being euthanised for extreme illness/pain, or for being a vegetable.

Maybe this is a bad topic for me to write about. I couldn't find anyting to write about and I picked this.

The problewm is, I couldn't think of a topic that I am very passionate about. I happened to find some books on this, and this was the best I had found so far.

Can you guys think of anything that might be better to write abou?

Shock The World!

Comment

My opinion:, let shiavo die.

Let anyone sick or mental f*ed die if they want to.

Should we pull the plug on people 15yrs in a coma probably, if not always yes.

IMO
                          E30 325ix 62k

Comment

I say kill 'em. If you can't do anything except drain society's resources and never provide anything back, then die.

Comment

People in vegitative states and comas will not recover, and are a drain on society, euthanize them.

People whom are severely mentally retarded and brain damaged will not recover, and are a drain on society, euthanize them.

The elderly and infirm are not going to "get better", and are a drain on society, euthanize them.

Habitual criminals are not going to change their behavior, they are drains on society, euthanize them.

Homosexuals are mental deviants, and could cause a drain on traditional society, euthanize them.

Communists are a drain on society and particularly violent, they will not change their ways, and are a detriment. Euthanize them.

Slavs and Gypsies are perpetual vagrants, unemployed, and a source of crime, they are racially inferior, Euthanize them.

Jews have connections to crime, communism, and are racially impure and inferior. They serve no benefit to society, and can only act as a detriment, euthanize them.

Everyone one of these cases were argued and put forth 60 years ago, this isn't exactly ancient history. You can see how this quickly becomes a very slippery slope.

-Charlie
                              Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                              '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                              FYYFF

Comment

Working...
                              X