Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY - can't stand your interior chrome trim? shawdowline it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - can't stand your interior chrome trim? shawdowline it!

Now that my headliner and trim is installed it was time to put the door panels and trim back on.

My M5 came with factory shadowline instead of chrome on the outside, but for some reason they team that built this car decided to keep the trim on the inside of the windows chrome.

Considering that there is no chrome anywhere else on the inside of the car I decided to do something about it.

Here are the clips that you have to deal with to remove the trim. These clips won't break, but you will bend the trim pieces if you are not careful.

In the first picture, the square tab closest to you is the one that clips onto a ridge on the base of the trim pieces.

I took some 2000 grit sandpaper and scuffed up the surface of the trim pieces and then wiped them down with water and a rag

To hold up all of the trim pieces so I could paint them I found a wrapping paper roll, cut 4 slits in it and VOILA, a trim holder

To get shadowline you have to use the super, mega flat ultra matte black paint

I gave each piece 4 light coats and then let dry overnight

Here is how the trim pieces look the next day.

Driver side door

Rear passenger side door

Last edited by MC Hammered; 01-14-2012, 05:12 PM.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Real shadowline (a la M5) is more of a satin black, but that will do. Nice job!

Comment

Looks OEM. I like it!
      Originally posted by Sonny
      I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Looks great!
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X