Am I the only person who likes Bernie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
    That exists and continues to because people vote for it with their dollars. As always, the people have the power to make the change. We don't need the government to do it for us.
    Apparently we do. I boycott the hell out of out, but they're still all over the place. Obviously the people are not making the best choices for themselves. If we had some effective regulation in place to even the playing field between walmart and local shops, I'd have no problem with it existing. Although I still wouldn't shop there.

One issue is that the people who shop there, ie, poor/poorer/poorest of the community, lack long term planning skills. Even if you told the majority of them that shopping at walmart was hurting them directly, they wouldn't listen to you and would continue to shop there, "because of the savings." It hurts their community directly and they don't care.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/your-brain-on-poverty-why-poor-people-seem-to-make-bad-decisions/281780/

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
    Can you explain how Walmart is sucking wealth out of local communities? That's a massive claim. And I will enjoy your attempts at proving that.
    That's not a massive claim at all. It's a very well understood and researched concept. They are a horrible company and if you googled "walmart effect on local economies" you'd see more than enough to read for a few days. In fact, I'd recommend you do so.

1. they kill all the mom and pop or local chains in the area
    2. most of their employees are paid so little they are on welfare

Walmart brings advantages and disadvantages to local communities. Learn the true meaning of a Walmart economy and if Walmart is bad for America.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
      Apparently we do. I boycott the hell out of out, but they're still all over the place. Obviously the people are not making the best choices for themselves. If we had some effective regulation in place to even the playing field between walmart and local shops, I'd have no problem with it existing. Although I still wouldn't shop there.

One issue is that the people who shop there, ie, poor/poorer/poorest of the community, lack long term planning skills. Even if you told the majority of them that shopping at walmart was hurting them directly, they wouldn't listen to you and would continue to shop there, "because of the savings." It hurts their community directly and they don't care.
      Or we could raise the bar for education, understand that some kids DO get left behind, and teach people to think for themselves.

I don't want a Nanny government.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Well do you want a corporate welfare state?

Walmart's low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.

To get what you want, raise the bar for education which I completely agree with, we're going to have to raise taxes to pay for that. Where can that money come from? The lower and middle class? And this isn't the middle ages, people absolutely do not need to get left behind.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Also, the town I live in, Winchester VA, has a WalMart.

We also have an abundance of small, privatly owned business all around. There's a walking mall specifically for these businesses, and it's always packed.

I also can think of 3 places off the top of my head that I can get a fresh cup of coffee, and have a convsation with the owner/operator, even with 2 evil Starbucks right in town. How the fuck can they operate?
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

You know Kershaw, I just figured it out. Government doesn't like Walmart because it lowers their sales tax revenue. That's the only legitimate reason.

If you and Bill de Blasio dislike Walmart because they bring competition (both on prices and on labor costs), you are a leftist. And that's fine. Just own it.
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Also, the town I live in, Winchester VA, has a WalMart.

We also have an abundance of small, privatly owned business all around. There's a walking mall specifically for these businesses, and it's always packed.

I also can think of 3 places off the top of my head that I can get a fresh cup of coffee, and have a convsation with the owner/operator, even with 2 evil Starbucks right in town. How the fuck can they operate?
              They can't in the Ivory Towers Kershaw lives in.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Well do you want a corporate welfare state?

Walmart's low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.

To get what you want, raise the bar for education which I completely agree with, we're going to have to raise taxes to pay for that. Where can that money come from? The lower and middle class? And this isn't the middle ages, people absolutely do not need to get left behind.
                What I meant by left behind, is that not every student is going to be a genius. No child left behind lowered the bar so that overall scores would look better. End result, everyone is equally stupid.

Not much unlike how I picture the economy if you start taking away from the upper class in an attempt to eliminate the lower class. We won't meet in the middle, we will all end up on the bottom.
                No E30 Club

Comment

This is not about making everyone equal. haha. This about the rampant wealth collection the top 1% has experienced over the last few decades and has continued it's hyperbolic rise. How do you address the ever increasing wealth gap?

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                  You know Kershaw, I just figured it out. Government doesn't like Walmart because it lowers their sales tax revenue. That's the only legitimate reason.
                  I can honestly say I don't understand what you just said.

Walmart doesn't bring competition. It brings a hammer. And they squash everyone around them. I don't think monopolies are fair competition.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

This is not about making everyone equal, jesus Christ dude. haha. This about the rampant wealth collection the top 1% has experienced over the last few decades and has continued it's hyperbolic rise.

Walmart doesn't bring competition. It brings a hammer. And they squash everyone around them. I don't think monopolies are fair competition.
                    You should seriously get our more often. My town is a beautiful example of how untrue it is.
                    No E30 Club

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I fully disagree with a company educating their employees on how to apply for Welfare. It is bullshit, no doubt.

That said, I would much rather see people take matters into their own hands than have a oversized government regulating everything. At least this way, you can be rest assured the people are getting what they want for better or worse. I can live with that, because at least then we have a choice.
                      No E30 Club

Comment

This is not about making everyone equal. haha. This about the rampant wealth collection the top 1% has experienced over the last few decades and has continued it's hyperbolic rise. How do you address the ever increasing wealth gap?

You don't understand that governments get less tax revenue because taxes are based on sales prices? Lower prices = less tax revenue.

And you are wrong about Walmart bringing a hammer. Its not fair for Walmart to sell stuff a lower prices because of their ability to purchase goods at a lower price? Then stop selling the same stuff as Walmart. Problem solved.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I fully disagree with a company educating their employees on how to apply for Welfare. It is bullshit, no doubt.

That said, I would much rather see people take matters into their own hands than have a oversized government regulating everything. At least this way, you can be rest assured the people are getting what they want for better or worse. I can live with that, because at least then we have a choice.
                          Don't you know? You and I are too stupid to know what is good for us and that choice should be taken away from us, for our own good.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I'm still waiting on an answer about the ever growing wealth gap.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

I'm still waiting on an answer about the ever growing wealth gap.
                              The wealth gap is artificial. The poverty line is constantly raised up. Unemployment numbers are trimmed so much, we don't really know what unemployment is. Everyone is playing with fractions. I don't think anyone can positively, honestly say that the rich are getting richer at the expense of the poor.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

The wealth gap is like Global Warming. Apparently all the research is done and all the science that can be done is done therefore there is no debate.

The reality is that the democrats and other leftists speak about the Wealth Gap and Global Warming as if they are facts, when in fact, they aren't. They are just talking points that are regurgitated ad nauseum.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X