Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M60 Complete! Tidying up & need some assistance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 Complete! Tidying up & need some assistance.

Hey guys, just finished my M60 swap and just tidying up some small loose ends.

1. Temp gauge on the cluster does not seem to be working, any pointers for diagnosing? Could this be because a bad coolant temp module at the radiator? Have tried searching with not much luck or perhaps Im not searching the right topics, just tips on fixing electrical problems in the other parts of the cluster.

2. Inspection reset. I have the m60 wiring harness and I have the "service port"(one techs can get to, I apologize if this is the wrong terminology). I placed a wire from 7 to 19 and put the key in position 2 for 10 seconds. I removed the wire, put the service cap back on, turn the key to the off position then start the car and the inspection is still evident on the board.

3. "Engine Oil" on the overheard control panel board is constantly on but know its plugged in underneath the oil pan. Is this not for the sensor on the m60?

4. "Check" light blinks, any way to clear that(overhead board shows engine oil without pressing the "test" button)? This will go out once I figure out #3 correct?

5. HVAC Blower Issue: on the m60 wiring harness, there are a few plugs that do not have anything I can plug into. When the car starts, it sounds like the car tries to turn the HVAC blower(clicking sound by the ECU, speed set to 4) on and it does for a short moment, then it turns off. Does this about 3-5 times then just does not turn on. When the car is started, blower still does not work although it seems like it tries to send power to it but then turns off.

Thanks in advance gents and ladies.
    Last edited by csm-e30; 12-27-2016, 05:57 AM. Reason: Figured #6 out

Anyone?

Comment

Sounds like you don't quite have your wiring straight. Here's how I consider each problem of yours:

Originally posted by csm-e30 View Post
      1. Temp gauge on the cluster does not seem to be working, any pointers for diagnosing? Could this be because a bad coolant temp module at the radiator? Have tried searching with not much luck or perhaps Im not searching the right topics, just tips on fixing electrical problems in the other parts of the cluster.
      The M60 has two temp sensors in the coolant crossover on the back of the heads, one is for the DME the other is for the gauge. The sensors have different values and aren't interchangeable. The temp sensor in the radiator is just for the electric cooling fan.

2. Inspection reset. I have the m60 wiring harness and I have the "service port"(one techs can get to, I apologize if this is the wrong terminology). I placed a wire from 7 to 19 and put the key in position 2 for 10 seconds. I removed the wire, put the service cap back on, turn the key to the off position then start the car and the inspection is still evident on the board.
      I've experienced this in my E34 540i M60, I believe the DME won't let you reset inspection if it's operating in a limp mode or if there is an MIL triggering code.

3. "Engine Oil" on the overheard control panel board is constantly on but know its plugged in underneath the oil pan. Is this not for the sensor on the m60?
      I believe that oil level sensor is part of the body control module. There isn't a pin at the DME for the oil level sensor input. Same with oil pressure, that appears to only be for the light on the dash.

4. "Check" light blinks, any way to clear that(overhead board shows engine oil without pressing the "test" button)? This will go out once I figure out #3 correct?
      Body Control Module related

5. HVAC Blower Issue: on the m60 wiring harness, there are a few plugs that do not have anything I can plug into. When the car starts, it sounds like the car tries to turn the HVAC blower(clicking sound by the ECU, speed set to 4) on and it does for a short moment, then it turns off. Does this about 3-5 times then just does not turn on. When the car is started, blower still does not work although it seems like it tries to send power to it but then turns off.
      Sounds like the key on testing is trying to cycle HVAC functions for diagnostic purposes. It must be recognizing a fault and thus not working. I think this is mostly a body control module thing again. Although I do see a few pin outs in the DME for A/C.

Not sure what wiring schematic you've used for the conversion/swap but this one is the resource I constantly reference on my own build and have not found any inaccuracies.

Good luck on your build.

Comment

Hey guys, just finished my M60 swap and just tidying up some small loose ends.

Make sure you are using a E30 temp sensor on the cross over pipe on the back of the motor. the Stock M60 Gauge sensor will not give you a good reading.

Not sure on this one, What you did should have worked.

Make sure the wires are not backwards at the sensor, and make sure you pinned the "Dynamic oil level" in the C101 to X20 adapter to the right pins. I wanna say it's pin 10 on the C101, for late E30, and pin 2 on the X20 side.

Blinking "check" light ties into the overhead panel, Get the oil level light fixed, that will stop on it's own.

Not sure here, I deleted everything from my harness that I didn't need, Including all the A/C stuff.

I had issues with my heater fan after I had pulled the dash. Make sure you have the hazard light switch, and the AC/recirculate switch plugged into the right switches. I had mine backwards, and it reeked all kinds of problems.
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
        X