No announcement yet.

What is happening to the demise of 225-45-16 tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive just brought some 225/45/16 toyo t1rs they are a dam good tire! i had them on my 17s as well and they were very sticky
    sigpic340hp V8 e30 FINISHED!!!!!
    Quick vid for ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5Eaf8xOgM
    NEW One on the track :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AX5SzSLnk
    Cleaning up some 911s and Jap turbos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79wsLdle4

Comment

Originally posted by Borat View Post
      Find me a tire manufacturer that lists a 205/50R16 as suitable for a 8" rim. I'll get a pick of 205 on 7.5" rims, and see for yourself. IMHO they are stretched.

If you can't get 225/45 for an 8" rim then I'd go 215/45, I'm not sure how well 215/50 will fit.
      I'm not saying that tire manufacturers say that 205 on an 8" is okay, what I was trying to get across is that even slightly stretched is not endorsed by tire companies therefore they only recommend tire sizes that would not stretch onto that certain width of rim.
      R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by Borat View Post
        Find me a tire manufacturer that lists a 205/50R16 as suitable for a 8" rim. I'll get a pick of 205 on 7.5" rims, and see for yourself. IMHO they are stretched.

If you can't get 225/45 for an 8" rim then I'd go 215/45, I'm not sure how well 215/50 will fit.
        you know that's a little unfair. 205/50-16 isn't even a popular size. look at the hankook rs2 in 205/50-16. The section width is much wider than 8": 1005076
        205/50ZR1687W6.55.5-7.5511,20124.18.37.28.5862.0

a 205-50-16 fits fine on a 7.5" rim. You are talking out of your ass. I don't have a picture, but have seem it before on a Borbet with ES100s. It's not stretched at all you twat.

the stretched tire look comes from a smaller section width than wheel width. like this 195-45-16 tire on a 9" wide wheel. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...945VR6F1GSD3XL
        7.7" section width to be exact.

and maybe you ought to read a description of what the range means for rim width, even BMW doesn't "obey" it all the time: Additionally, some vehicle manufacturers and tire companies have permitted rim widths that are not within the tire's original approved rim width range. For example: BMW has combined 235/40R17 sized tires on 17x7.5" rims (which are 0.5" less than the narrowest 8.0" wide rim listed for the size) on certain M3 models; and Chevrolet has combined P255/50R16 sized tires on optional 16x9.5" rims (which are 0.5" wider than the 9.0" wide rim now listed for the size) on certain Corvette models. While these applications have received the approval of the vehicle and tire manufacturers, staying within the approved rim width range helps assure that the tire's internal stresses are within its design parameters.

Comment

Doesn't matter I bit the bullet and bought some Hankook RS 212's in 225-45-16 for 3 season tires. The car is in the garage anyway till the weather passes.

Comment

I couldn't even fit 205's on my 16x8 rotas, the tire shop called me and said it wont stretch enough (205/45's, I bet a 205/50 would fit, but it would look pretty strectched).My friend has 15x8 welds on his truck with 205/60's, and even those have a slight stretch with that huge tire.

I'm now rollin on 225/40's (Undersized, but I hate you guys with your massive sidewalls look). I've been driving hammered cars all my life, potholes don't scare me. Even those look a bit too narrow

Comment

I am running Hankook Venus RS2s on my grey car and love them. 225/45 r16. It was hard to find a good tire in this size. And they fit perfect on my 16x8s.

:: PNW Crew ::
              '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by lance_entities View Post
                you know that's a little unfair. 205/50-16 isn't even a popular size. look at the hankook rs2 in 205/50-16. The section width is much wider than 8": 1005076
                205/50ZR1687W6.55.5-7.5511,20124.18.37.28.5862.0

a 205-50-16 fits fine on a 7.5" rim. You are talking out of your ass. I don't have a picture, but have seem it before on a Borbet with ES100s. It's not stretched at all you twat.

the stretched tire look comes from a smaller section width than wheel width. like this 195-45-16 tire on a 9" wide wheel. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...945VR6F1GSD3XL
                7.7" section width to be exact.
                Calm down bud, my apologies for expressing an opinion thats different to yours. I'm only trying to reinforce the above comments that 205 would be too skinny on a 8" rim. (Unless you are after that euro look). I'm sure you know that different tyres have different widths even tho they both might be a 205. I have different tyres front/rear and the DZ101 are noticably narrower than the GII's. I don't know about the ES but they probably are wider than the DZ101.

I never said a 205 doesn't fit on a 7.5, I only said mine were SLIGHTLY stretched, (I am probably being picky, I just prefer tyres to come all the way to the edge of the rim.

FWIW, 205/50-16 is a common size over here, both stock and aftermarket.

Finally, obviously you don't have to obey the tyre company, do so at your own risk. (Could even be illegal over here, have to check that though). In the case of OEMs doing their own thing I'm sure they would have thoroughly tested it and checked with the tyre manufacturer, 1st Ive heard of it to be honest.

Comment

Good thread :) I am shopping for 225/45/16 tires as well and there aren't as many choices.

Considering the Falken FK452 actually.... where is the best place to order these from?
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I hear everyone in this thread. I had a hard time finding 225.45.16 which happens to be the same rolling size as stock which is nice. 16 seems to be a 'dead' size. Everything comes with 17 minimum now it seems. The 'old school' guys are all running on 15s which there are still a lot of.

I love my 16s though. Found stupid deal on KDW2s so rocking those now. Track is DForce 15s though...

If you want something to just roll around on with decent performance(not great... not terrible) you have a cheap option:

The N3000 is decent. As said not great but not terrible.

Comment

Dang, this size has all but disappeared off the shelves these days. Sad. And major thread bump from the past.
                      sigpic

Comment

Es100s still suck. :p
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I bought these tires in 205/50/16 after a lot of research on tire rack. The contact patch is about the same as a 225 wide in other brands. This tire has only been out for 2 years or so.

Tire rack takes their own section measurements so there is finally a standard to use from brand to brand. I mounted mine on 7.5 wheels but have not bolted them up yet so no review from me on how well they work but, the online reviews are outstanding for a trackable street summer tire. These tires do not get as hard in the colder months which was important to me in new england. even in the summer our nights are in the 50s and 60s. Car goes away once snow flys.

The tires are pretty meaty looking. They look more like a new 225 from a lot of other brands and certainly a 215 vs all other brands. Below is a link to the bfg specs and size availability.

Experience advanced wet and dry handling for ultimate control. Shop G-FORCE™ COMP-2™ A/S PLUS tires for our best ultra-high performance all-season tire ever.

Comment

I just got some staggered Alpina 7/8 16" shipped from Europe and they are wrapped in brand new 205/50 16 - 225/45 16 "tyres" called "Infinity". I thought I might just buy some better name brand tires, but after looking there is fucking nothing. I now find myself grateful for these piece of shit Infinity tyres and look forward to seeing just how bad they are.

Comment

I started looking for tires today and was dismayed by the lack of options. All I found were Toyo Proxes and Dunlop Direzza, as far as street tires go. Which of those two is better for 95% street, 5% autocross?

Comment

I love my 225/45/16 Direzza Star Specs. Great tires. I've heard the Proxes R1Rs aren't as good in the rain and wet performance is very important for 95% street cars.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X