No announcement yet.

Official: Show your plaid or pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! That seat is very nicely done. How long did it take you?

I've been getting lessons from an old timer (40+ years experience with oneoff stuff) and have managed to get my welting under control now.

Instead of making welt and then sewing it to one side and then together, I've been doing it all in one shot. After going one pass getting it as tight as you can while sewing all the pieces together, you flip the whole workpiece over and sew it again to really tighten it up. Two passes and done; much quicker with the same nice tight cord.

Edit: is that leather suede on the wheel? Or manmade?
    - Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

I see what your saying, that's real leather.
      Proud Owner and Operator.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
        I see what your saying, that's real leather.
        Cool, I was afraid it wouldn't be clear.

Nice. I'm doing a wheel in black alcantara. Working on wrapping a handbrake lever in leather also.

You work in a fleet shop, yes?
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Yes, I work for the City, as a mechanic, but currently I am detailed to our Upholstery shop. We service over 7000 vehicles and do office furniture. A also do automotive upholstery on the side, as well as high end furniture.
          sigpic

Comment

That's pretty sweet. Did you learn upholstery for the job or did you already know?

Here's a handbrake I wrapped in Burberry plaid today. Going to wrap the grip half in leather this evening.

lol toes
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

I basically told them I knew what I was doing, and kinda just jumped in...
              I like the look, is that for a VW? I noticed the pattern is distorted, if that's what you were going for, cool. If not, the way to get rid of that is to glue the material to 1/4" or 1/8" foam, then sew it, then glue it to the work. The foam will hold the patern straight.

The seat took me about 8-10 hours mostly because the pleats are time consuming.

As for the welt, I usually make 50+ welt at once, so I have plenty on hand.
              Last edited by EthirtyIS; 07-13-2013, 05:26 PM. Reason: Can't concentrate on more than one thing at time...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EthirtyIS View Post
                I basically told them I knew what I was doing, and kinda just jumped in...
                I like the look, is that for a VW? I noticed the pattern is distorted, if that's what you were going for, cool. If not, the way to get rid of that is to glue the material to 1/4" or 1/8" foam, then sew it, then glue it to the work. The foam will hold the patern straight.

The seat took me about 8-10 hours mostly because the pleats are time consuming.

As for the welt, I usually make 50+ welt at once, so I have plenty on hand.
                Oh nice. I've been doing that as well but am taking lessons from a local guy too since I don't work in a shop at all.

I wanted to do the foam under but my client said there's not enough room without making it rub. No bueno for cotton twill so distorted it is. I've been wrapping in leather and alcantara otherwise so there's no need for foam.

Edit: it's for a maxima
                Last edited by Cletonius; 07-13-2013, 05:39 PM.
                - Josh
                1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Working...
                X