Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Markert Motor Works Dyno Thread (many inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be at the dyno this week with a number of cars...

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Added 3 more. You can now see the big difference S52/S50 cams make on a 2.8L, sans the variable of them being different cars, but you get the idea...
      Also shown is a 2.8 with and without manifold. You guys doing M50 man on a 2.8L are picking up a little up top at a compromise of a little down low.... Not necessarily 100% worth it without cams....

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Love this! Thanks for posting these up Dave! Love my M52 w/ m50 Manifold tune you just did! S52 cams coming someday...

Comment

Great to hear! ;)

Added a M50B25 vs M52 comparison to see what you M50 guys are missing out on! 2.8>* ;)
          I have no idea if they were chipped or anything but we tuned the M52.

Check Us out on Facebook
          Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Did another M52; M50 man/s52 cams yesterday and updated first post!

Check Us out on Facebook
            Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Nice work, thanks for posting these.

That last car (10/7) seems a little flat at peak power compared to your beater and another car with similar mods, any thoughts on why?
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

My beater has a custom mandrel bent vibrant res and muffler exhaust setup from the stock OBD2 headers, this car had factory E36 OBD2 midpipe with cats/res and aftermarket catback. That that what i believe killed the power climb up top. Graphs nearly match eachother till then....:

Beaters vanos changeover point is also shit. Keep trying to find time to take it back to dyno after updating its tune...

Check Us out on Facebook
                Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Thank you for this great dyno information, now we know all the myths.

The beater vs the 328 track car w/ M50/cams. Beater has 'intake/exhaust' vs stock e36 stuff on the other car. Note the significant low end differences but keep in mind these are two completely different cars...
                  This proves what I have been saying for a while, stock E36 parts work better than some aftermarket intake / exhaust. Your E30 has slightly lighter rear rotating mass so it should of made more power but instead it made less. This says stock E36 intake cold air box is the best box you can use. And stock E36 exhaust is not that restrictive. BMW did a good job.

(Eli) M52 with M50 manifold vs Stock M52 with tune
                  That dyno proves unless you are adding S52 cams with that M50 manifold you won't make more power on average. This proves that stock M52 manifold with stock M52 cams is a pretty good match when both powerbands are averaged out. M52 intake manifold is not that inferior after all.

Comment

do you just come here to post nonsense?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                      Thank you for this great dyno information, now we know all the myths.

This proves what I have been saying for a while, stock E36 parts work better than some aftermarket intake / exhaust. Your E30 has slightly lighter rear rotating mass so it should of made more power but instead it made less. This says stock E36 intake cold air box is the best box you can use. And stock E36 exhaust is not that restrictive. BMW did a good job.
                      I dont agree the stock airbox is best for MAX power. It is better in many cases than cone filter on MAF next to radiator setup many people have. And the E30 vs E36 rotating mass is negligible at best. The E30 diff nearly weighs the same and axles/hubs/brakes are nearly the same as well.

As far as the Exhaust goes, my last dyno shows the only difference between the two cars is the exhaust setup (sans the fact that theyre two different cars) and there is a noticeable power difference. Not to say the stock OBD2 midpipe is a major restriction but it is the main variable between the two cars. It is however leaps and bounds over the OBD1 one if nothing else.

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                      That dyno proves unless you are adding S52 cams with that M50 manifold you won't make more power on average. This proves that stock M52 manifold with stock M52 cams is a pretty good match when both powerbands are averaged out. M52 intake manifold is not that inferior after all.
                      I clearly stated that on my post that M52+ M50 manifold w/o cams isnt ideal for overall power. Throwing s52 cams in the mix however utilizes the manifold fully. And again the M52 manifold/cams isnt inferior, just simply not ideal for 'racing' or w/e as the powerband above 5500 is crap.

So Full comparison (To note: these are 3 completely different cars with minor differences, this is simply to illustrate the 'idea')
                      Stock M52
                      'Eli' has M52 with M50 manifold
                      Dale Burroughs has M52, M50 manifold and S52 cams

You can see that the M52 is the winner almost all the time from 2k to ~5300 (again extrapolating the fact that we started that run at 3500). Right at ~5400 the hp on the M52 tanks and the M50 manifold equipped car starts to 'win' until ~6500 where they meet again... At ~5k the S52 cammed car takes off and never looks back...

HP:

TQ:

now i need a customer to come by that wants cams on a M52 WITHOUT a M50 manifold.........

Check Us out on Facebook
                      Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

BTW if anyone wants to play with comparing all the different dyno runs themselves and DL winPEP let me know and i can send you the .drf files...

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

Any chance you could do a back to back of a S52 Cammed car (S52 or M52), M50 manifold and then a 3" VS the 3.5" MAF??
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thanks for posting these Dave. Sorry if I missed it - what's Dale doing for intake and exhaust setups?
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Any chance you could do a back to back of a S52 Cammed car (S52 or M52), M50 manifold and then a 3" VS the 3.5" MAF??
                              I dont run 3.5" MAFs ever (or i should say i havent had to... yet). They in and of themselves dont make any more power than a stock MAF. You funnel the intake trac down to 3" For your intake boot and <3" for the throttle body anyway so the 'airflow gain' you get by having a larger housing is negated.

Originally posted by agent View Post
                              Thanks for posting these Dave. Sorry if I missed it - what's Dale's exhaust setup?
                              Stock OBD2 headers, Stock OBD2 E36 midpipe, AA catback iirc

Check Us out on Facebook
                              Full Product Line Tuning

Comment

The only reason to go to a different maf when you are flowing more air than it can effectively meter.

Comment

Working...
                                X