Odometer intermittently working, MPG gauge pegged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    I'm still scratching my head around this issue....Moves free by hand ,new gears and everything works like it should including my OBC.......
    So now i have to rely on my MPG to get and estimates on mileage and service intervals works...
    Have you measured continuity through those black, fried traces? When the SI batteries go, they can cause shorts which then fry the power and/or ground traces on the cluster PCB.

Can you solder? You should clean the black off, and see if you can at least flow solder into the damaged traces, provided there is any remaining copper there. You might have some traces that are technically broken, but depending on heat expansion or vibration, make occasional contact.

Might want to see if you can find a known working cluster, and swap your odometer over.

*edit*

Just realized, you are someone else... You should inspect your cluster PCB for bad traces.

Comment

I was going to say wrong person but ya I'll have to take it apart again for the fourth time...lol.But i think i have it down pat now and removing it in about 15mins ....
      but thanks for the info I'll really take a closer look at the PCB this time like i did ever other time i did take it apart...that is why i think the whole speedo crap out and just try a new speedo.....
      But the speedometer works fine as all my other stuff works just the odometer is not working.Suppose to be nice tomorrow so i'll check and take pics this time....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rustneversleeps View Post
        I was going to say wrong person but ya I'll have to take it apart again for the fourth time...lol.But i think i have it down pat now and removing it in about 15mins ....
        but thanks for the info I'll really take a closer look at the PCB this time like i did ever other time i did take it apart...that is why i think the whole speedo crap out and just try a new speedo.....
        But the speedometer works fine as all my other stuff works just the odometer is not working.Suppose to be nice tomorrow so i'll check and take pics this time....
        Did you ever resolve your odometer issues?

I replaced the gears on mine and tested that the trip and odometer indeed did turn over manually using any of the gears. I button everything back up and the miles do not turn over.

I pulled the cluster out (AGAIN) and double checked all the gears were lining up and once again no miles are being updated after driving a few miles.

I did notice the cluster had a bit of an electrical burn smell but I didn't see any traces or solder lifted, I figured this is normal for a 30 year old car.

Any ideas from anyone on what could be the culprit?

Comment

No still not working i took it all apart and looked a little closer and notice that it look like it was missing some solder ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170710_135316.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	7192389

So i did this thinking it would worked cross my fingers and still nothing.
          All works except for the OD....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170710_141114.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	7192390
          sigpic

Comment

It's hard to tell from your pictures, was the trace open? Or it just didn't have solder flowed onto it?

If it was open, then resolderng it isn't going to do much, traces don't destroy themselves.

This is what I would do:

1. Resolder every joint on that board.
            2. Check (replace) the electrolytic cap on that board, I think it's 220uF on the VDO boards.
            3. Check the wires on the motor that drives the odometer, you've been taking your cluster apart, it's quite possible doing so had broken a wire.

If nothing works, can you acquire an alternative cluster? See if it works on your car at all.
            Last edited by earthwormjim; 07-17-2017, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Of the multiple hundreds of odometer repairs I have done over the past 7 years, the single most common issue is poor installation of replacement gears. I've seen even highly skilled professional mechanics mess up the installation by forgetting things such as cleaning the posts the gears rotate on or cleaning the door that protects the gears. If the gears fit too snug on the posts, relief some material from the ID of the gears so they spin easily. No too much or you will have to buy new gears.

Also, check the gears for extra burrs and make sure there is no residue from the old gears. Make sure the gears are assembled correctly, VDO brand gears are particularly easy to mess up.

Also VDO speedometers are super common to fail because the circuit board needs to be refurbished.

IN the end, it is sometimes worth it to send it to a professional like us so that we can do the job right the first time and provide you warranty for 3 years. Far cheaper than taking your cluster in and out multiple times on multiple days.
              Owner - Bavarian Restoration
              BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
              www.BavRest.com
              My Feedback Thread
              Our Facebook!
              Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I should also note that Garagistic gears are particularly troublesome and lead to intermittent problems.

Odometergears.com are far superior, although more expensive but much better quality and hugely more reliable.
                Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                X