No announcement yet.

United Auto Security keeps sending me wrong key blanks and has bad information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

United Auto Security keeps sending me wrong key blanks and has bad information

I'm at my wits end dealing with these people. I wanted to add keyless entry to my E30, but they keep sending me the wrong key blanks and telling me they're right. I took matters into my own hands and ordered the correct blank from their website, but they sent me the incorrect one which I did not order!!

Just take a look at this picture. The left two are my original E30 keys. The three keys on the right are from UAS. Notice how they are much longer. The blue BMW key in the middle is a random Ebay key I ordered which doesn't work at all because it's too long. This is why I'm 99% sure UAS is sending me the wrong keys. They keep saying these are the right ones. What do you people think?

Most frustratingly, I went to their eBay and found this, the correct key which I need:

But instead, they shipped me this, another wrong key:

When you look at my picture of all my keys above, you can see this single blank, the same length as the long ones. Even though I ordered a shorter, proper e30 key, they sent another wrong one. Astounding.

So, UAS keeps telling me those long keys on the right will work for the E30. Are they right, or are they pissing on me and telling me it's raining?

Originally posted by irocz0r View Post
    What do you people think?
    I think I've never heard of "United Auto Security," and, assuming your tumblers are original, I think you should order a steel cut key from the dealer (like most everyone else who has researched replacing their E30 keys).
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

The long shank keys work if cut right but they also will twist over time (even if only used in the ignition) because they are cheap and the unnecessary length makes the problem worse. Get original BMW keys.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The length of the key blade is irrelevant as long as the shoulder stops are in the right location, as they are shown in your photo.

I bought those blanks of UAS and they work fine.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
          The length of the key blade is irrelevant as long as the shoulder stops are in the right location, as they are shown in your photo.

I bought those blanks of UAS and they work fine.
          Now this, I take issue with. Looking back at my first photo, you see the blue/white BMW logo key. This was listed on eBay as an E30 blank. I had it cut to match my key. Notice the shoulder is in the same place as the stock keys, even though the key itself is longer. However... this key doesn't work in my car! That's why I'm so upset... I don't want one of these long blanks... I want the shorter blanks that are advertised on their website.

Despite the shoulders being the same length, the grooves on the longer key go down further. When you stick the longer key into the lock, the grooves don't even enter the lock all the way. I'm not a locksmith but I'm assuming that's why this key doesn't work.

UAS offered to cut the keys for free for me, so I'll send them. However, I'm willing to bet what I get back looks exactly like my blue/white long key, and works just as well (which is to say, not at all). Despite the shorter blanks being offered on their website, the guy doesn't seem to want to acknowledge there is such a thing.
          Last edited by irocz0r; 08-22-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Why don't you order a key straight from the dealer? They're only around $30

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by irocz0r View Post
              Now this, I take issue with. Looking back at my first photo, you see the blue/white BMW logo key. This was listed on eBay as an E30 blank. I had it cut to match my key. Notice the shoulder is in the same place as the stock keys, even though the key itself is longer. However... this key doesn't work in my car! That's why I'm so upset... I don't want one of these long blanks... I want the shorter blanks that are advertised on their website.

Despite the shoulders being the same length, the grooves on the longer key go down further. When you stick the longer key into the lock, the grooves don't even enter the lock all the way. I'm not a locksmith but I'm assuming that's why this key doesn't work.

UAS offered to cut the keys for free for me, so I'll send them. However, I'm willing to bet what I get back looks exactly like my blue/white long key, and works just as well (which is to say, not at all). Despite the shorter blanks being offered on their website, the guy doesn't seem to want to acknowledge there is such a thing.
              The reason the key doesn't work is it was cut wrong.

How do I know? Guess why I needed to buy a replacement blank?

Find a good locksmith and they will cut the key correctly and they will work, blade length is irrelevant.

You can keep telling UAS you want the short blanks, they don't care as they only have one type of key blank available. You want a short one, you aren't going to get it.

BTW I don't have a UAS system, I ordered blanks for the German Engineering keyless entry purchased off a vendor here. Same made in China stuff.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Working...
              X