• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
    What's it worth to you
    $5500~$6000

Originally posted by CO318is View Post
    I think you will have the first Euro S50 swapped car in the State!
    Negatory ghostrider. :D

Comment

Not in the states, but maybe in the state. It'll be cool to maybe see you at HPR Eric, though you've been spoiled with the Ring...

Roland - It's worth more than that... How do you figure so low.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
      Originally posted by DTM190
      "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

The springs is def cool! good mexican food, and some international attractions, like Pikes Peak, etc. And then you can make it up to HPR track days and stuff. HPR is a cool track. You are also alot closer to the track in Pueblo than most of us are. Most people on this subforum are near the Boulder area.

Comment

Not in the states, but maybe in the state.
          Nope. :D

Roland - It's worth more than that... How do you figure so low.
          Body work = sketch
          tires = fucked
          wheels = fucked
          interior = beat
          cooling system = original
          oh, and it has had rcomps on it at one time, which means the spotwelds on the rear subframe mounting points are likely beginning to tear, if not torn already.

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
          The springs is def cool! good mexican food, and some international attractions, like Pikes Peak, etc. And then you can make it up to HPR track days and stuff. HPR is a cool track. You are also alot closer to the track in Pueblo than most of us are. Most people on this subforum are near the Boulder area.
          Freakin Hippies.

Comment

^^^ hah! I know it! Boulder is packed full of tree-hugging hippies!

Comment

Oh snap, depends on what you're moving to the Springs for
              My wife is going to Schriever in Feb. I'm going to Goodfellow in TX for school for a few months, then will more than likely meet up with her. My new career field only has a few bases that have positions, and Schriever is one of them!

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
              Not as cool as Denver imo, but close enough...
              Denver would be cool, I think Buckley AFB is near there, but my wife's one and only hobby is snowboarding, so i think she will be happy with anything in Colorado!

Originally posted by CO318is View Post
              Air force I believe, I don't think Colorado Springs is going to be as cool as Germany, but we have a two or three tracks in the state that are pretty close to Colorado Springs, and a very active community. I am excited, I think you will have the first Euro S50 swapped car in the State!
              No, I'll definitely be missing the ring, but I'm ready for a new place. The E30 is coming with me, and I saw one of the tracks has a nice long straight to stretch her legs! The car is too far gone to be in any way streetable, so I'm thinking of continuing down the expensive path of ring toy in hopes of another assignment to Germany in a few years!

Not in the states, but maybe in the state. It'll be cool to maybe see you at HPR Eric, though you've been spoiled with the Ring...
              HPR?

When I drove on the Grand Prix circuit at the ring, i was pretty bored in a few laps, I hope the Green Hell doesn't haunt me forever :loco:

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
              can you drive Pikes Peak all the time, or is only open for the race once a year? I went to the WRC ralley in Trier Germany in 08, and it was badass! I'm sure Pikes Peak hillclimb is more wild than that!

Is there an active BMWCCA club in Colorado Springs? Who usually puts on track days? My wife has agreed to take the mini to a HPDE when we get back to the states, I'm stoked!

What is the weather like? I know that is kinda a dumb question being at the foot of the rockies and at 6,000 feet, but the place looks like a desert from google maps.

Any sketchy area's that MUST be avoided?
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

HPR = High Plains Raceway, newest track here (my sig, turn-in on turn 2). There's also Pueblo Motorsports Park, PPIR (pikes peak international raceway), and then I think Miller is only about 6 hours away... only.... As for weather, CO is a mixed bag, and watching the forecast is a waste of time because they'll only be in the ballpark, if they're lucky.... It's not uncommon to have Snow, rain, and sunshine all in one day, and have it be dry by the time the sun goes down... You just have to kinda live here long enough to get a feel of what the weather's gonna do..

We have a pretty strong SCCA chapter and BMWCCA chapter (BMWCCA boasting the "best instructor program in the states." or something like that. But the typical groups all put on events and such, NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, Porsche Club, etc...

David Jobusch piloting his old M3. It's since been rebuilt head to toe and flies...

And Yeah, HPR is in the middle of nowhere..... Driving to it... Farm... Farm.... Farm.... Farm... Farm... Racetrack... Farm.. Farm...

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  Denver would be cool, I think Buckley AFB is near there, but my wife's one and only hobby is snowboarding, so i think she will be happy with anything in Colorado!
                  Yeah buckley is in the Denver area. The springs will be a longer drive to go snowboarding if you want to go to a bunch of parks, but still not too far.

Going from the ring to nearly any track in the USA is probably going to be boring....

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                    Yeah buckley is in the Denver area. The springs will be a longer drive to go snowboarding if you want to go to a bunch of parks, but still not too far.

Going from the ring to nearly any track in the USA is probably going to be boring....
                    yeah HPF looks sooo flat! and I think i would get lost with no points of refrence! That vid bishop posted, the driver is nice and smooth, good stuff.

What does a track day cost? HPDE cost with BMWCCA? Do you guys have the cheap track rentals like the guys in CA who get a day for $100, experienced drivers only.

So how anal is the smog laws in Colorado? I'm thinking a euro S50 with no cats might raise a red flag?Colorado Springs is in El Paso county, so it's only a basic test, but that rapid screen system is kinda scary!

Will winter tires be enough, or do I need to keep the 4x4?

Comment

My understanding is that HPR has quite a bit of elevation change and blind corners. I haven't run there personally yet, so maybe someone else should field that one.

Track days cost between $100-175, depending on winter open track day to BMW Club HPDE. NASA TT/PDX is somewhere in between.

Emissions aren't terribly strict, especially if you're OBD1. You'd need a cat, but it should pass just fine. Cats are also $200 or so for a magnaflow cheapie.

What car would have the winter tires? The E30?

Snow here is srs bsns, and highly variable. I'd highly recommend picking up a cheap Subaru once you get here (dime a dozen and unbeatable in snow), or if keeping your 4x4 is feasible, going with that. You will need four proper full depth snow tires at the minimum no matter what car you drive. Studded tires are also a great thing to get, but true ice doesn't appear all that often. I like to be prepared anyway just in case, so I get full studs.....I'm rambling. Get a set of proper snow tires for whatever car you are planning on driving, and awd is quite a benefit to have.

FWIW, I DD'd my M3 (before it became trackcarhero) in the winter with four old-but-not-dead-yet studded tires. It was miserable, and not fun at all after the first couple ass-out slides. I had my studded snows on the Subaru the next day, and when the next storm hit, I was far more comfortable and happy driving that car in the snow. It's not a lack of talent thing either, it's a noticeable difference in ability to move and driver confidence/safety between the two cars on snow tires in winter.

The M3 is good to go the day after the snowstorm, since it usually all melts the next day(last October: 18in stuck to the ground, a day later was all melted from the roads and mostly from the ground), but the day of the snowstorm sucks without an awd/4x4 car on snow tires.
                      Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 11-01-2010, 04:12 PM.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

im gonna plow through this winter in my E30! LSD and studded snows will be fine for me!

HPR does have alot of elevation change actually, but its the only track I have been on, so i can't compare it to anything. There is definitely a sizable E30 scene out here, not like the west coast of course, but sizable.

Comment

What 4x4 do you have? HPR has some decent elevation changes, but yeah, there's not a lot out there.... It's still very much in the making since it was only opened like 2 years ago. They're still pouring money into it to improve things like paddock, pits, etc.... BUT, it gets the job done. It's fun as hell, but I have no other point of reference.

Cost varies for track days... $100 for "winter pricing" lapping days, I think $150 for summer. Then there's "schools" and such put on by the clubs... And there's actual wheel to wheel racing if that's what you like..

Comment

Pueblo isn't as nice of a facility, and really needs to be repaved, but it has quite a good bit of blind corners and elevation change from turns 3-7. Super fun to feel the car compress down from g and elevation.

Similar prices, and BMW CCA ran there last I checked.

Video, no one I know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOcBplPeG0

Super fun track.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

What 4x4 do you have? HPR has some decent elevation changes, but yeah, there's not a lot out there.... It's still very much in the making since it was only opened like 2 years ago. They're still pouring money into it to improve things like paddock, pits, etc.... BUT, it gets the job done. It's fun as hell, but I have no other point of reference.

Cost varies for track days... $100 for "winter pricing" lapping days, I think $150 for summer. Then there's "schools" and such put on by the clubs... And there's actual wheel to wheel racing if that's what you like..

Don't have the balls for W2W yet, plus the E30 wouldn't fit anywhere in a class that would make it even semi competitive. Maybe one of those Time Attack deals, but even those cars are so highly developed, my tin can with a big motor wouldn't be all that impressive. $100 lap days sounds like fun, and that should be perfect to fuel this addiction! ha!

I've got a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee Sport. It's a really nice rig that is in fantastic condition. I need to take some new pictures of it, cause it now has 16x8 black crager wheels with 215/85/16's. If you could stance a Jeep, i've done it!

So studded snow tires all winter? Studded tires are illegal in germany, are they similar to chains as far as speed is concerned? can you drive 70mph on a clear day with studded tires?

Thanks for the info Bimmerman, so even the jeep with it's tall skinny all terrains need to be swapped out? I'm glad I kept the stock wheels around. What type of subies are you talking about? GC8's or like bug eye's WRX's? how about a forester XTi? poor mans STi for the family?

I pitched an STi to my wife, and she flat out refused, something about that rear wing being goddy.:loco:

Pueblo looks like fun! that last turn onto the drag strip could really suck up some seat at speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                                Don't have the balls for W2W yet, plus the E30 wouldn't fit anywhere in a class that would make it even semi competitive. Maybe one of those Time Attack deals, but even those cars are so highly developed, my tin can with a big motor wouldn't be all that impressive. $100 lap days sounds like fun, and that should be perfect to fuel this addiction! ha!

I've got a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee Sport. It's a really nice rig that is in fantastic condition. I need to take some new pictures of it, cause it now has 16x8 black crager wheels with 215/85/16's. If you could stance a Jeep, i've done it!

So studded snow tires all winter? Studded tires are illegal in germany, are they similar to chains as far as speed is concerned? can you drive 70mph on a clear day with studded tires?

Thanks for the info Bimmerman, so even the jeep with it's tall skinny all terrains need to be swapped out? I'm glad I kept the stock wheels around. What type of subies are you talking about? GC8's or like bug eye's WRX's? how about a forester XTi? poor mans STi for the family?

I pitched an STi to my wife, and she flat out refused, something about that rear wing being goddy.:loco:
                                Studded tires are considered good to 85mph, much more rips the studs out (115mph on the M3 didn't kill em, so 85's conservative). They're perfectly legal here, but they are noisy. Chains are only good to ~20-30mph, and sometimes you need them + snow tires near the Eisenhower tunnel during ski season.

Since you have a nice jeep, I don't know if you'd prefer a scoob or not. The low range on the jeep, if it has one, would definitely be more useful, and it can tow things too (i think). All seasons are crap in winter, tire rack has a great video as to why: http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter

If it's feasible to ship the Jeep here and federalize/register it, which you'd know better than I would, I'd keep it but put skinny winter tires on it. If you stanced it by lowering it, I'd quickly un-lower it.....you want ground clearance for snowdrifts.

Forester XTs are great, my cousins have one. WRXs....you'll never see as many WRXs before in your life until you come here. I have a 95 Legacy Manwagon, which is slow but trusty. Any Scoob will do fine in winter so long as it has awd and abs (manual ones of my car's era have 50/50 f/r power split, autotragic are 70/30). I am partial to wagons and don't really care for GCs if you aren't swapping them, but that's just my preference.

You could also get an 08+ STi hatch, and have a practical batshit insane fast DD/winter car. No wing........
                                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                                X