No announcement yet.

Seeking Sage Wisdom for 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, if you're still on the fence about euro grills: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...&postcount=300

As well as ellipsoids/smileys:

instagram: @tonerrrr
    High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

Still not convinced about euro grilles. Sorry guys.

Bumpers, on the other hand... I know I need, but until then, it's shining diving boards!

So I finally got my DME in (German Auto Parts on eBay- GREAT Seller!) and my Conforti chip in and functional and I feel like I'm driving a different car. Between replacing the intake hose and putting the chip in, everything feels SOOO smooth and under control.

Prior to a chip, I had no reason to take the car much above 3k rpm, unless I was just proving to someone that it won't explode at that engine speed. NOW- I can't resist the urge to flatten the pedal with every light, turn, etc... I found myself downshifting and flooring it just to hear what the engine sounds like at 4.5k. Wonderful.

Anywho, that's all for projects now... I'm thinking an SSK will be next up.
      /______\_o_/______\
      l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
      \ #___======___# /
      |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Just don't rev it too high, even though the lower end is more than capable, you still have single valve springs up top.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Glad to hear.

Comment

so what's the accepted redline among those in the know? I know the specs say "5300 rpm" but I find myself tentative to approach that number. I'm thinking if I stick to the factory redline of 4.5 I'll be ok.

sound logic?
            /______\_o_/______\
            l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
            \ #___======___# /
            |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

I like your logic.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
              Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

I tend to do the same with mine (turner chip). I'm pretty sure the extra little bit up top isn't worth blowing up my valves on the street.

instagram: @tonerrrr
                High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

Originally posted by tonerrrr View Post
                  I tend to do the same with mine (turner chip). I'm pretty sure the extra little bit up top isn't worth blowing up my valves on the street.
                  HA! My sentiments exactly! I would get laughed at so hard down here in Truckland (Georgia).

But seriously, isn't the Turner chip amazing?

On a related note, I saw Ireland Eng. has "double valve springs' for our cars. Theoretically, could you just buy those stronger springs and slap them in there, rev it to the moon??

Or am I missing the intended application of that part?
                  /______\_o_/______\
                  l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                  \ #___======___# /
                  |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

I rev the piss out of my ETA hasn't been killed yet, and I track my car. Did you ever work out the play in the steering a brake pedal issues?

Comment

Brakes- a little bit. (Replaced the fluid) Planning on doing a brake overhaul, I think it's good bang for the buck. Aftermarket pads, new fluid, SS lines.

Also, with the steering, I'm thinking of just doing all stock (or urethane, where applicable) bushings replacement- not trying to do anything extreme like e36 swap. (i know it's not extreme for some of you, but it would be for this Level 1 Tinkerer)

Anyone know how hard an SSK is? I mean, i'd have to drop the tranny, right? that seems to be the hardest part.
                      /______\_o_/______\
                      l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                      \ #___======___# /
                      |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

I don't know about the SSK but I liked using derlin shift bushings and a UUC double shear selector rod and all the rest new stock parts. It feels nice and direct but not too notchy. The bitch clip is a pain but can be gotten with a curved radiator hose pick from Harbor Freight.
                        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

When I had the car at the shop the other week (I'm cool with the guy who owns it, so he let me pull my car in on sunday and we took a look), he said if my steering's vague I should replace the steering knuckle.

Is that this part? http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-...30strcplr.html

If so, does anyone have it? I'm also thinking while they're in there I'll just update all my rubber stuff up front with some good poly bushings. I dunno, with the Turner Chip it's accelerating nicely, I wanna get a 3.25 LSD, but first I'd like to get the steering feeling tighter.
                          /______\_o_/______\
                          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                          \ #___======___# /
                          |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Took some pics in its natural habitat.

Not as clean as she should be, and it's just a cellphone picture, but the road to the range can be dirty sometimes...

/______\_o_/______\
                            l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                            \ #___======___# /
                            |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Wow this was a while ago. I feel like my car is a different person now! We call her Suza, named after one of my buddies ahem *flings of the same name. She too was born in 83 and is slightly cantankerous but ultimately good to look at, and fun.

Took this a few days ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1392176706434.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	7164234

Still rocking the bbs front- I love it, personally. Upgraded the lights to hellas and Cibie. They've spotted many deer on dark back roads at ass early times of the day. Can't say how much I respect Daniel Stern and his business. Those are real yellows, not laminx. Got the h&r, bilstein situation going on- effect on brake dive and squat was immediate. Went with an Ireland ssk, short, notchy, utterly engaging. Shifter leans a little to the right though, not centered, still haven't figured that one out. Not settled on them, but I'm thinking I'll get some 15 inch ltw. I'm over the wheel thing, though, idk the 14s just don't look that bad to me. Some wider rubber would be nice though. I need to do the I head swap, but I've been chasing gremlins in this thing since I bought it. Blew a head gasket on me. That was the main thing. The PO was shoddy and cheap with ALL his diy work so now I'm paying for it. That said, the number of days she runs far outweighs the days she sits in the shop. Still makes me smile every day. AutoXed her twice. 131k miles and she's still spunky. I love her and can't wait to see where else we go together. Thanks R3V.

Post script: some credit goes to Mike Miller of Roundel who convinced me it's perfectly normal to spend thousands on a 30+ yo car if you love it enough! Man's gotta have a passion, right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                              /______\_o_/______\
                              l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                              \ #___======___# /
                              |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Working...
                              X