First Car, First Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blasphemy101 View Post
    Question: Why are you set on going with an E36 5-lug setup?
    The main reason is to be able to upgrade the brakes so they'll be able to stop the car after the engine swap.

The second is for a larger choice of rims, but that's just an added bonus.

If I can fit brakes good enough to handle a S50B32 or possibly either a M54B30 or S54B32 if I can get them considerably cheaper, I'll happily run with the 4-Lug

Comment

Welcome !!!! :D My family is originally from Scotland.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by IrishBeamer View Post
        The main reason is to be able to upgrade the brakes so they'll be able to stop the car after the engine swap.

The second is for a larger choice of rims, but that's just an added bonus.

If I can fit brakes good enough to handle a S50B32 or possibly either a M54B30 or S54B32 if I can get them considerably cheaper, I'll happily run with the 4-Lug
        There are plenty of aftermarket 4 lug brake kits. Check out massivebrakes.com
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
          There are plenty of aftermarket 4 lug brake kits. Check out massivebrakes.com
          That's great! That'll save me a lot of hassle and money in the long run. So I can now use E30 suspension as well as I don't have to alter that to suit the conversion.

Comment

The S50B32 may have to wait as today I sourced a M50B25, complete with

vanos m50
            with e36 mounting arms and an e34 sump,
            non ews ecu,
            modified m52 manifolds,
            plug in loom adapter,
            clio brake servo,
            used e28 m5 engine mounts
            and exhaust

all for €550, which is a steal.

This leads me onto a different set of questions, what gearbox/trans/diff combo should I use?

I think I have a Getrag 220 4-speed, possibly a 5-speed Getrag 240. I'm not sure as I still haven't collected the car or seen it in person, but I trust the seller (a great friends cousin) on the condition of the car.

Plus my friend and the seller are actually giving me use of their garage.

As for Tranny ratios, it's either 3.76 (4 speed) or 3.72 (5 speed)

I also think it has a 3.91 diff, but not 100% sure. Possibly a 4.10, 4.27 or 4.45.

What's useable and what's recommended for spirited back road driving?

Comment

Ok, I've found a BMW breakers yard that's not a million miles away from me and has quite an extensive inventory.

I'm going to attempt to deal through him to see what I can get as I'll be a recurring customer if I can establish a working relationship.

The budget can be increased and decreased. It's going to be done as cheap as possible but I'm not going to sacrifice on quality of parts, just going to haggle price.

I would prefer a 5 speed to be honest but I'd take the 6 speed ZF if the price was lower.
              The 260 Getrag doesn't appear to be too difficult to get here.

Would the diff out of a 325i or 325i SE E30 work?

How difficult is an E36 diff to fit?

How about E34 525 LSD?

E39 M5 LSD?

All of these parts can be sourced, I just want to know what would work best and be easiest to install before I ring and begin negotiating prices.

Comment

Anyone with suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                X