R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E34/E28 Forums > General 5 Series Technical

Old 05-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #31
>:C
Noobie

Been a short while

Hey, haven't updated in a little white but here is what has happened.

Some more parts arrived and I'll be breaking down the s62 to change the rod bearings and cams soon. I finished this weekend getting the m60 torn down (because I wanted to) and freed up space in the garage again. It was really interesting tearing the m60 down because I did not expect what I saw. The car loved to burn oil and I never found out why, the previous owner had the chain guides replaced not long before he sold me the car. Well, when I got to the guides, bolts were missing and working there way out... I was shocked by that to think I was using an engine in that condition. The icing on the cake though was a complete lack of an oil separator. I noticed while on a call actually when I saw the drain tube did not have its bolt to hold it in and was attached to nothing really. Also, one of the cylinder head bolts was warped and I needed to hammer my tool onto it to get that bolt out. I guess someone has taken the heads off before, I doubt the factory did that... Blew my mind, I mean that garage now has a thick layer of my brain all over it.

Aside from the the rod bearings looked ok but the main bearings all had scratches on them. Some significantly worse than other and the crank has scratches too. So now I am really glad that I did not opt to just sell the engine, jesus I could only imagine...

Also, took the steering box out to put in an m5 one That will happen soon but I also now have some e30 maintenance that needs to happen before I head to At The Vintage.

As for the parts, I searched by individual part numbers and basically chose between bavauto, ecs, pelican, and a couple other places to get the oem parts. no kits, just individual parts because that is cheaper... like building your own pc
>:C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #32
Kershaw
R3V OG

That is quite the update! I'm glad you learned why the m60 was burning oil, something to keep in mind for future engines.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #33
jpod999
E30 Enthusiast

How is this progressing?
jpod999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #34
flyboyx
R3V OG

wy b u no update?

Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black
flyboyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #35
straight6pwr
No R3VLimiter

Send a message via AIM to straight6pwr
prolly cuz overzelus projektz
Old 09-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #36
Kershaw
R3V OG

Oh, there are updates. He's just forgotten about this thread. He's got a new steering box on the way, the suspension is coming out soon, the engine is currently in the middle of a rebuild, etc. Lots of progress.