R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Classified Forums > Product Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
blunttech
Forum Sponsor
 
blunttech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Freedom Bunker
Posts: 12,840
Renown Steering wheels

Scott from Renown sent us a wheel this week so I thought Id post my thoughts on his product.
I got the silver Monoco with perforated leather.
Im going to admit I was a little skeptical of what Id end up with at this price point . The wheel weighs 2.6 ounces with horn button. I physically tried to twist and flex the wheel in my hands and laid it on the floor and put my weight on the center of the wheel to see what it would do. No ill effects.
If youve ever been in an R32 this perforated leather appears to be identical to what VW uses.
Stitching is done well and is smooth. I dont know anything about stitching material so I cant comment on what is used and of its quality but to the laymans eye its fine.
Scott may be able to give you more specifics on that. This is strictly personal preference but I think on next wheel I will get the black spokes. This is an attractive wheel in all regards but black would suit me better from an aesthetics point of view.
My only other complaint, and this is minor is the installation instructions. On his site he suggests using a zip tie to attach the horn wire. My preference would be to simply drill a small hole in your wheel hub and attach that wire with a self tapping screw for a more permanent professional install.
Bottom line is, at this price point... This is a nice product that seems strong. Im sure some of you have seen the Youtube video of cheap aftermarket wheels flexing and deforming.. This does not appear to have any of those characteristics.




http://www.renownusa.com/category/steering-wheels
__________________
We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
www.blunttech.com


Like us on Facebook
blunttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
animal
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 789
Thanks for the honest review Blunt!

For anyone not following us on facebook or instagram - we are giving away a steering wheel for the holidays!



RENOWN Steering Wheel Holiday Giveaway!!!
Pick any wheel you like, shipped anywhere in the world!
All you have to do:
1. Follow & Share this on instagram @renownusa.
2. Like & Share our Facebook page.
Contest ends Sunday 12/21. Random Winner announced 12/22.
Please tag us @renownusa #renownusa on your posts to make sure you are entered!

All wheels and specs are at: www.renownusa.com
__________________
91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
F34R
sLaughter
 
F34R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,383
I have been wondering where these are made at, I assume you know since you are a distributor/seller?

I do not have interest in replacing my MOMO, just wondering and saw that question was not answered in your FAQ.
F34R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
Julien
R3V OG
 
Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,781
Send a message via MSN to Julien
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunttech View Post
Scott from Renown sent us a wheel this week so I thought Id post my thoughts on his product.
I got the silver Monoco with perforated leather.
Im going to admit I was a little skeptical of what Id end up with at this price point . The wheel weighs 2.6 ounces with horn button. I physically tried to twist and flex the wheel in my hands and laid it on the floor and put my weight on the center of the wheel to see what it would do. No ill effects.
If youve ever been in an R32 this perforated leather appears to be identical to what VW uses.
Stitching is done well and is smooth. I dont know anything about stitching material so I cant comment on what is used and of its quality but to the laymans eye its fine.
Scott may be able to give you more specifics on that. This is strictly personal preference but I think on next wheel I will get the black spokes. This is an attractive wheel in all regards but black would suit me better from an aesthetics point of view.
My only other complaint, and this is minor is the installation instructions. On his site he suggests using a zip tie to attach the horn wire. My preference would be to simply drill a small hole in your wheel hub and attach that wire with a self tapping screw for a more permanent professional install.
Bottom line is, at this price point... This is a nice product that seems strong. Im sure some of you have seen the Youtube video of cheap aftermarket wheels flexing and deforming.. This does not appear to have any of those characteristics.




http://www.renownusa.com/category/steering-wheels
I don't get the price point reference. These are maybe $20 cheaper than the Momo competition that they're exact copies of.
__________________
06 Touring
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
blunttech
Forum Sponsor
 
blunttech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Freedom Bunker
Posts: 12,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
I don't get the price point reference. These are maybe $20 cheaper than the Momo competition that they're exact copies of.
Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket
__________________
We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
www.blunttech.com


Like us on Facebook
blunttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
mitchlikesbikes
Mod Crazy
 
mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunttech View Post
Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket
__________________
1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012

IG: @mitchlikesbikes
mitchlikesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
williamjray
Noobie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glasgow, KY
Posts: 9
Just got mine!



Can't wait to get it in the car! It is the 130R.

Hmmm...pic will not post. Sorry.
williamjray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
e30blue
Noobie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5
Honestly guys.... i find renown wheels are pretty shitty and are way over priced.. I would stay away.

My friend had one ..got rid of it after 2 days.

The side spokes... have just piece of fabric glued on. Don't let the pictures fool you. Just my 2 cents.

They're over priced replicas.
e30blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
serdar255
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30blue View Post
Honestly guys.... i find renown wheels are pretty shitty and are way over priced.. I would stay away.

My friend had one ..got rid of it after 2 days.

The side spokes... have just piece of fabric glued on. Don't let the pictures fool you. Just my 2 cents.

They're over priced replicas.
Completely agree, they're trash.
__________________

image (10) by serdar.gurhan, on Flickr
PM me for custom shift knobs and stickers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
You ain't done working on a car unless you are bleeding.
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:33 AM   #10
Reichart12
E30 Enthusiast
 
Reichart12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,116
Mines held up pretty good for almost 1.5 years and close to 30,000 miles of daily driving. I had the motorsports stitching on the black Monaco and perforated leather. Besides the black spokes fading to a goldish bronze color its been solid.
__________________

Instagram: Reichart12
Reichart12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #11
ThatOneEuroE30
R3V OG
 
ThatOneEuroE30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 6,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30blue View Post
Honestly guys.... i find renown wheels are pretty shitty and are way over priced.. I would stay away.



My friend had one ..got rid of it after 2 days.



The side spokes... have just piece of fabric glued on. Don't let the pictures fool you. Just my 2 cents.



They're over priced replicas.

Alpina does same thing. But yea i can say over all i wasnt enthused with the quality. Specially once i had a real alpina/momo wheel
ThatOneEuroE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
Best_name_available
E30 Addict
 
Best_name_available's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Carpinteria, California
Posts: 474
so what you're saying is


i should just buy a nardi?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokuhila View Post
I laughed, and then I serioused
Best_name_available is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #13
iPee
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 124
Mine is holding up as well been about 1.5 years. I have the 130R with motorsport stitch in perforated leather. Been through 3 track days and about 10,000kms daily, no fade whatsoever on mine. Leather still feels nice and soft.
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #14
CarsonE30
R3VLimited
 
CarsonE30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
Posts: 2,066
Got my 130R installed on Saturday night and broke it in the very next day at the CCA AutoX! This is the best wheel I've ever felt and it is built extremely well. I got the 130R in suede and white stitching and there are zero flaws with the material anywhere. When I received the wheel, I did the weight tests also, I did everything from trying to flex it with my own hands to doing push ups with it and putting my weight on it. No give at all. I went from the 380mm 3 spoke to this one, which is a 350mm for those unsure, and it makes it a totally different feel in a fantastic way. Very confidence inspiring and a great feel to the way it fits in your hands. It literally took me 7 minutes to install everything and it's the best mod for the time I can think of. If you've never turned a wrench on a car, this might take you 8 minutes. The communication I received from Scott, aka Animal on here, was 10/10 and he is a massive E30 guy so you never feel like you're talking business with him because it's half about the wheel and half about go fast parts! All in all, this wheel is fantastic, Scott is immensely helpful and knowledgeable and I'm gonna be running a Renown in every car from here on out. If you're considering one, just do it
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by decay View Post
anything's a buttplug if you're brave enough
CarsonE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #15
E30Whore
Advanced Member
 
E30Whore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 178
no complaints with my renown wheel here...




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
My Garage
09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
09 E92 335i Msport
09 E70 X5 4.8
88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
87 325i m50 swap
87 325es
E30Whore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC