R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Classified Forums > Retail Classifieds

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #31
htseng
Member
 
htseng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lafayette, CA
Posts: 74
Has anyone tried the bulbs in the foglights?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
htseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #32
djmossm42
Mod Crazy
 
djmossm42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by htseng View Post
Has anyone tried the bulbs in the foglights?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going to try them this weekend but didn't have time. They should fit ok, you just need to figure your cable management (probably zip ties) to keep the driver/ballast from hanging down. The braided heatsink will keep whatever form you put it in so you can bend it up around the fog light housing. I will test fit one tonight and take pics. I have late model fogs, so the bulb installs from the bottom. Not sure about the positioning of early model bulb but you should still be able to find a way to mount these bulbs securely.



Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
djmossm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #33
htseng
Member
 
htseng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lafayette, CA
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmossm42 View Post
I was going to try them this weekend but didn't have time. They should fit ok, you just need to figure your cable management (probably zip ties) to keep the driver/ballast from hanging down. The braided heatsink will keep whatever form you put it in so you can bend it up around the fog light housing. I will test fit one tonight and take pics. I have late model fogs, so the bulb installs from the bottom. Not sure about the positioning of early model bulb but you should still be able to find a way to mount these bulbs securely.



Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk


Very quick response. I have late model fogs as well. But have 4300k HID ellipsoids. When i switched on my fogs last night. They provided almost no extra light.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
htseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #34
djmossm42
Mod Crazy
 
djmossm42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by htseng View Post
Very quick response. I have late model fogs as well. But have 4300k HID ellipsoids. When i switched on my fogs last night. They provided almost no extra light.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have the OEM fogs? My suspicion is the fog light design is a bit of the problem, but I've seen very bright ones before but not sure if they were modified. What type of light source are you using in the fogs?

These bulbs are very bright so it should be very noticeable. I had SilverStar halogens in mine and they provided light but it was hard to tell, the main reason I could tell was because of the yellow lenses but the intensity did not match my headlights when I had 2400lm/led bulbs.



Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
djmossm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #35
htseng
Member
 
htseng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lafayette, CA
Posts: 74
Oem fogs and prob very old bulbs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
htseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #36
Das Delfin
E30 Mastermind
 
Das Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: nutmegger
Posts: 1,920
This is just what I've been waiting for. I'll want two sets of H1 for my depo smileys. Just one thing: can you post a pic of the distribution pattern? Ie your e30 facing a wall at night time. So I can see the cutoff pattern and compare it to mine

Thanks!
__________________
Das Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #37
htseng
Member
 
htseng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lafayette, CA
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Delfin View Post
This is just what I've been waiting for. I'll want two sets of H1 for my depo smileys. Just one thing: can you post a pic of the distribution pattern? Ie your e30 facing a wall at night time. So I can see the cutoff pattern and compare it to mine

Thanks!


Ive wanted to see the same thing. LED typically have a very tight and focused beam with limited spread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
htseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #38
djmossm42
Mod Crazy
 
djmossm42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Delfin View Post
This is just what I've been waiting for. I'll want two sets of H1 for my depo smileys. Just one thing: can you post a pic of the distribution pattern? Ie your e30 facing a wall at night time. So I can see the cutoff pattern and compare it to mine

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by htseng View Post
Ive wanted to see the same thing. LED typically have a very tight and focused beam with limited spread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was the best I could do, it doesn't get dark till 8:30/9pm now.

Please keep in mind there are some limitations in the depo design. Mainly the cutoff shield being flat vs curved. Curved shields help keep the line sharp across the full width of the beam. You can also tell in the video the focus is not infinite. As the car gets closer the cutoff sharpness increases significantly and when moving back it decreases. Another possible flaw is the lens and whether or not it is optically clear. The high output of these bulbs helps overcome some of the limitations in the optics and there are no major dark spots that I can notice.

I plan on addressing these things and possibly create an upgrade kit as an alternative to a full retrofit.



Here's another pic on a gray/light blue wall in low light



Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited by djmossm42; 06-20-2016 at 08:58 PM.
djmossm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #39
djmossm42
Mod Crazy
 
djmossm42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by htseng View Post
Oem fogs and prob very old bulbs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah you will see a big difference with these. I will do the test fit in the morning, stay tuned.

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
djmossm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #40
Das Delfin
E30 Mastermind
 
Das Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: nutmegger
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmossm42 View Post
I plan on addressing these things and possibly create an upgrade kit as an alternative to a full retrofit.
That would be awesome. I would rather spend money on LEDs over HIDs
__________________
Das Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #41
djmossm42
Mod Crazy
 
djmossm42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 611
Only a few days left before this first round closes!

Did a quick test fit in the late model fogs this morning.







Notes:

1. You can't use the cover but the bulbs have a very high water/dust proof rating.

2. I removed the ground lead to the mounting chassis inside the housing and connected the wires directly to the internal prongs. You can still use the standard connector this way (no splicing)

3. The heatsink can be bent up well out of the way. Also I don't have a lip on my car.

4. The bulbs are 6000k/4800LM and the fogs have yellow lenses.


Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited by djmossm42; 06-22-2016 at 10:39 AM.
djmossm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #42
spike68
E30 Enthusiast
 
spike68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Auburn AL
Posts: 1,125
Wow. Thats freaking bright for a fog light.
__________________
"Blessed are they, the lowly ones"

spike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #43
Aikmanson
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 103
Those fogs are stupid bright, wow.
Aikmanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #44
djmossm42
Mod Crazy
 
djmossm42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike68 View Post
Wow. Thats freaking bright for a fog light.
Yes, these are no joke! If you think it's too bright the 5000K option might be just right @ 3600lm

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
djmossm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #45
djmossm42
Mod Crazy
 
djmossm42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 611
Some may be wondering if the headlight back covers fit?

They fit perfectly!





You just need to bend the braided heatsink forward.


Have a great day!
Bryon

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
djmossm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC