R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > V8 Swap

Old 12-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #1
Mustachio
Noobie

Help! Any experience w. Sanderson/Garagistic headers for LS1 swap

Hey there everyone! New guy here. Registered so I can purchase some switches, but figured I would ask this as well since it's been a long time coming.

So I've been wondering the endless labyrinths of e30 customization and modification all over the internet for a long time now, and recently decided on an LS1 swap for my 1990 is. I went with Garrets' kit and I also purchased an oil pan and headers from Garagistic.

Has anyone ever purchased the headers from Garagistic for ls1? The reason why I'm asking is because the product that I received seemed to be of very questionable quality. Specifically the welds and the mating surface. There are holes and bubbles and the mating surface is uneven because of the coarse grooves. It generally looks as if someone was practicing welding. Hell, there's even a chicken scratch on one of them that says "GAGA" lol. I'm not sure if it's expected considering the price or I got screwed...

PS: can post pics to clarify if need be.
Mustachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 AM   #2
flyboyx
R3V OG

There is a v8 swap section. You should check it out.

I would call the company directly with your concerns. I find they are pretty good at taking care of their customers. With that said, my biggest complaint with them is the more than occasional lack of quality professionalism in their fabrication skillz.

Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black
flyboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
z28
Wrencher

Post some pictures.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
Mustachio
Noobie

Got moved, Wasn't entirely sure if the thread fits into general or v8 category since it's not the swap that I'm concerned with rather the product/seller.

But anyways here's some pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0942.jpg (41.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0941.jpg (57.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0940.jpg (73.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0939.jpg (76.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0938.jpg (78.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
Pootis
Grease Monkey

Garagistic welds the vband's and sanderson is who to talk to about the mating surface.....good luck those look pretty rough

Pootis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Q8y_drifter
Wrencher

That definitely does not look good. I'd ask for a replacement from Garagistic if I were you.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Fsnow
Advanced Member

Wow, that looks like garbage. I hope you get a refund.

1991 318is x 2 .
Fsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
Mustachio
Noobie

I wrote an email to them, not an angry one (although now I think it should've been) being respectful of coarse, pointing to all the deficiencies but all they had to say was that they will make sure it doesn't happen again. So I emailed them back asking what I'm supposed to do with what I received, but they never replied. What should I do?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
Mustachio
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootis View Post
Garagistic welds the vband's and sanderson is who to talk to about the mating surface.....good luck those look pretty rough
My understanding is that it's only the Garagistic guys I should be talking to. I dealt with them and I payed them. I think it's non of my business as to what happens between them and Sanderson...agree?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Pootis
Grease Monkey

They are usually pretty responsive I would try to call them. They have called me back in the past. And yes I think Garagistic are the only people you need to be communicating with. Good luck man let us know how it goes

Old 12-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #11
sgtskid
E30 Addict

I can't speak to the quality of the welds but the flange which bolts to the head is suppose to look like that. Garagistic recommends using a bead of high temp Permatex but otherwise the headers are suppose to be "gasket less"
1986 353 - Snow White, One Crazy Girl
1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

Check us out
sgtskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
Mustachio
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskid View Post
I can't speak to the quality of the welds but the flange which bolts to the head is suppose to look like that. Garagistic recommends using a bead of high temp Permatex but otherwise the headers are suppose to be "gasket less"
I don't know much about "mating surfaces", but that surface looks pretty rough and I doubt it will seal anything...

Anyways, I called them today as was suggested. Explained the situation, the person on the other line said that they will make an exception and refund me the money, as long as I ship the headers back at my own expense!
I patiently explained to him that I'm incurring all the costs. It will be the second time I will be paying for shipping. Not to mention I had to pay a customs tax and the shittiest exchange rate (I'm in Canada), that point is really not his concern, but at this point I see no reason for me to go through the trouble of returning that POS.

So absolutely zero compromise on the shitty product that they sent me, coupled with the fact that I had to wait for 3 months on my order, after which I had to call them only to find out that it wasn't even shipped yet!, provides for a really bad customer service. Merry Christmass everyone! (Attempt at sarcasm)

Anyways, now that I finished my angry rant...The only option I see is to fix/reweld them or use it as a blueprint to fab new ones.

Is it possibleto salvage them, or should I just make new ones?
Old 12-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #13
sgtskid
E30 Addict

The welds aren't pretty but I don't see any reason they won't hold. If you are not going to return them, I'd try them as is. What do you have to lose? Identify the leaks, if any, and re-weld. A good coat of header paint and the welds will hardly be noticeable down in the bay. A little flap wheel work and the welds would all but disappear.

Check us out
Old 12-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #14
sgtskid
E30 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
I don't know much about "mating surfaces", but that surface looks pretty rough and I doubt it will seal anything...
That's where the Permatex comes in. (although to me that's not "gasket less")

Check us out
Old 12-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #15
Pootis
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskid View Post
The welds aren't pretty but I don't see any reason they won't hold. If you are not going to return them, I'd try them as is. What do you have to lose? Identify the leaks, if any, and re-weld. A good coat of header paint and the welds will hardly be noticeable down in the bay. A little flap wheel work and the welds would all but disappear.
I agree with this. If the welds really bother you someone could cut that flange off and weld it back on pretty easily. Sorry you didn't get a better response. Hey look at the bright side you are one step closer to having that american powerplant in your car and running