R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Members Rides > The Project Forum

Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #5461
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 4
Spent the day putting on a new headgasket after the oil started getting cloudy. Previous owner claimed he did it just before I bought the car along with the timing belt.

Cracked open the timing case to be greeted with a fine black powder everywhere and a belt sitting on the edge of the sprocket. New belt ordered.

Opened up the valve cover and noticed he decided to use hex head bolts instead of the preferred torx. The car was not in running condition when I got it so it's a wonder how he managed to properly torque them.

Start taking them out in the right sequence using my usual step de-torque method (quarter turn, half turn, full turn) and noticed they were finger loose after a quarter turn.

It's a wonder this car ran at all.
Hubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #5462
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 16
Laboriously removed my entire trunk liner only to find that the rear shock mounts are actually located in the convertible top well! Not like my old Miata or Corvair I'm not sure that my Bentley manual noted this, and it was annoying until I realized that I needed to replace my old radio mast anyway.

The good news: I didn't find any rust of consequence.

I installed the right rear shock with no complications. Had to break for dinner and set aside the left one for next week. After that, we are on to the more challenging front struts.

I also cleaned out my convertible top well, which had 20 years of grime in it. I noticed that water runs out of the left side through the rocker, but no water ran out of the right side. Looks like I need to check the drains.
jgilber0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #5463
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 16
Installed the right rear shock, changed the radio antenna to fixed mast with an e36 mount. Cleaned and remounted the rear wheels. Making progress!
jgilber0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #5464
htseng's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lafayette, CA
Posts: 62
Installed a new shaft in my Hirshmann antenna. Had to take it out and disassemble it to take the snapped cogged plastic tail out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
htseng is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC