Califonia decriminalized marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Califonia decriminalized marijuana

And it's about damn time. Hopefully Oregon and Washington will soon follow. Some would argue this is better than legalization, as the government has no way to tax it.

Original story here: http://www.salem-news.com/articles/o...-marijuana.php

The new bill changes marijuana possession of less than an ounce to an infraction.

Salem-News.com

(SACRAMENTO) - From California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, on September 30, 2010.

To the Members of the California State Senate:

I am signing Senate Bill 1449.

This bill changes the crime of possession of less than an ounce of marijuana from a misdemeanor punishable only by a $100 fine to an infraction punishable by a $100 fine. Under existing law, jail time cannot be imposed, probation cannot be ordered, nor can the base fine exceed $100 for someone convicted of this crime.

I am opposed to decriminalizing the possession and recreational use of marijuana and oppose Proposition 19, which is on the November ballot.

Unfortunately, Proposition 19 is a deeply flawed measure that, if passed, will adversely impact California’s businesses without bringing in the tax revenues to the state promised by its proponents.

Notwithstanding my opposition to Proposition 19, however, I am signing this measure because possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is an infraction in everything but name. The only difference is that because it is a misdemeanor, a criminal defendant is entitled to a jury trial and a defense attorney.

In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement, and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket.

As noted by the Judicial Council in its support of this measure, the appointment of counsel and the availability of a jury trial should be reserved for defendants who are facing loss of life, liberty, or property greater than $100.

For these reasons, I am signing this bill.

Sincerely, Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bra-fucking-vo.

I don't smoke, but the laws against weed possession and consumption in this country are beyond draconian and absurd. Bravo, California, you finally did something right for once.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Stoners unite, now all move to California please.
      1985 BMW 325e
      1997 BMW M3/4/5
      2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
        past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Still not enough.
          But..
          Wait, what were we talking about again?

Comment

Well being as libertarian as I am I am obviously in favor of this, however, they only did it because the state is so F'd up fiscally that they can't afford to prosecute people. They may not be able to tax it now but they will be able to give you a $100 ticket for having under an ounce.

Comment

Hey as long as you still have to pass a piss test to get a job and they hand out tickets for intoxication while behind the wheel I'll back it.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by reelop19 View Post
                Well being as libertarian as I am I am obviously in favor of this, however, they only did it because the state is so F'd up fiscally that they can't afford to prosecute people. They may not be able to tax it now but they will be able to give you a $100 ticket for having under an ounce.
                Bingo, I think it's a good way to make extra money for the state.
                @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

FUCKING brilliant move on Arnies part: can't be fought so Kalifornia doesn't have to pay a lawyer to fight it either! Now it is just a simple "Sin Tax".

$100 in pure profit no matter what. Gonna be a WAY more common ticket, you watch. Then, they will say "look how many more people have weed now, look how many tickets we wrote!" yeah...so now there will be this HUGE "backlash" and re-criminalize weed in like 2012 because Kali is awash in weed (like it has always been).

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Now I'm rethinking my move...

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                      Now I'm rethinking my move...
                      lulz.
                      Rides...
                      1991 325i - sold :(
                      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
                        Hey as long as you still have to pass a piss test to get a job and they hand out tickets for intoxication while behind the wheel I'll back it.
                        Bingo.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        $100 in pure profit no matter what. Gonna be a WAY more common ticket, you watch. Then, they will say "look how many more people have weed now, look how many tickets we wrote!" yeah...so now there will be this HUGE "backlash" and re-criminalize weed in like 2012 because Kali is awash in weed (like it has always been).
                        If they write that many tickets you think the bloated California government is really going to kill that stream of revenue? No way.

Comment

Excellent move.

I'm all in favor of all out legalization, but there are too many facts and common sense that get in the way of that happening.
                          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Decriminalization in California makes a lot of sense, cuts down on the volume of petty MJ infractions in the court system, and makes it an automated pay system that they will just collect cash on, like a reverse ATM.

Comment

I'm not happy about the fine portion of it, but I expected it from the government.

Comment

Working...
                              X