M60 oil cooler..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 oil cooler..

What's everyone doing as far as oil coolers? I'm not running one which is fine for DD but on track days and drift events my oil heats up real quick and it sounds like my valves are being operated by ball peen hammers after just a few minutes of WOT. I know Jgood and Ryan both had the same experience with aftermarkets exploding.. Don't want that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic'89 325i
    M60 swap in progress

Made an adapter plate, remote filter and a Mocal cooler, with 10AN lines. For obvious reasons it hasn't broken (car doesn't run) but it's what I use on all the other cars with 0 issues.

Comment

My mishimoto exploded, like immediately after first start up. I thought I had the lines reversed, is it common on M60s to blow the cooler? Anyways I'm in the same boat jack I'd like a cooler but don't want to blow up another one.

Comment

I tried a few different coolers, all blew up within a few thousand miles. Gave up as it's only a street car.

If I were to need a cooler again, I'd use the OEM Z3M radiator/oil cooler setup. Should fit fine and it's factory quality parts.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Hmm would the z3m hook right up or would I need to get some AN fittings? I still have my m20 oil cooler so I may play around with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          sigpic'89 325i
          M60 swap in progress

Comment

Why did they blow up? I wonder. Which brands did you try?

Comment

I have the same problem in track day, when engine is hot, it sounds like it will explode. + engine is swaped in e36 so the oil pan is modified and oil volume is 5l

So I am thinking to put some realy big cooler, that there could be a space for more oil, closely to oem.

But where need connect cooler hoses?

Comment

Re-check your oil pump bolts, I chased this exact problem for a year. I did the normal drill with locktite on the oil pump housing when I checked/refreshed mine.

During normal hard driving...no issue, 7-8 laps into a track session and it sounded scary, rattling terribly. Let it cool down and go out again and it started out good and 7-8 laps later same crap. Added an oil cooler and no change, then heavier oil no change.

I was talking with a friend and he mentioned he had the same issue on a Caddy years ago, and found the oil pump bolts were slightly loose and sucking air causing the oil to foam. I thought heck I will recheck mine...sure as heck one bolt way up high on the oil pump was loose. I probably missed it the first time around. Now Zero rattling!

BTW I installed an m20 oil cooler, just welded an fittings on it. Drops temps and no leaks so far.

Hope this helps your problem.
                sigpic
                89 e30 M60B40 6spd

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Merck View Post
                  Re-check your oil pump bolts, I chased this exact problem for a year. I did the normal drill with locktite on the oil pump housing when I checked/refreshed mine.

During normal hard driving...no issue, 7-8 laps into a track session and it sounded scary, rattling terribly. Let it cool down and go out again and it started out good and 7-8 laps later same crap. Added an oil cooler and no change, then heavier oil no change.

I was talking with a friend and he mentioned he had the same issue on a Caddy years ago, and found the oil pump bolts were slightly loose and sucking air causing the oil to foam. I thought heck I will recheck mine...sure as heck one bolt way up high on the oil pump was loose. I probably missed it the first time around. Now Zero rattling!

BTW I installed an m20 oil cooler, just welded an fittings on it. Drops temps and no leaks so far.

Hope this helps your problem.
                  where did you weld those fittings?

Comment

I cut the factory ends off the oil cooler and welded on fittings. I relocated my oil filter to the area behind passenger headlight. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438639920148.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	7177941

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                    sigpic
                    89 e30 M60B40 6spd

Comment

Are you guys still using the drain line at the bottom of the filter housing? Or are you capping it?
                      Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I plugged mine with a oil pan bolt so I can drain during oil filter changes...cant remember the size but Advance Auto had them.
                        sigpic
                        89 e30 M60B40 6spd

Comment

hi guys i am going to put AEM oil cooler on my M62B44TU swap! if you want to check how i do it lets visit my thread :) in few days it will be done

Comment

Working...
                          X