Megasquirt questions...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megasquirt questions...!

Made some good progress on the 2002 turbo again. However 3 things are setting me back:

The Car Has a hard time Idling. I wish there was an idle adjusting screw on the m30 throttle body. Im trying to adjust via throttle cable, but the old 2002 linkage has too much play to really get it spot on... it's either not idling, and stalls out, or idling at 2k. is there a way I can adjust mixture/ timing to fix this?

The M30 Throttle position sensor is really being a PITA. There are 6 wires, and 3 are shielded, and the other 3 are unshielded. I have no clue which ones to connect to the megasquirt, or how to test the correct ones. I read the megamanual, but it seemed vague in this situation.

AEM UEGO wideband Reads perfectly Fine on the gauge itself, but the Megasquirt goes apeshit, to like -9000 over 3975235935 .43593435 etc... There is a setting for aem UEGO, which it is set on, so I don't know what do to in this situation.

BTW the car hauls ass with 9 lbs of boost.
    [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
    Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

it would be good to know what MS you are talking about..

You could use an idle valve like the stock M20s and M30s come with, either for warmup or closed loop.

as far as the TPS, the E36 TPS is an easy solution and only has 3 wires.

the WB is probably a miscalibration, or maybe it's not hooked up to the right pins. are you using tunerstudio or megatune?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You need to set up the wideband in the MegaTune screen.

Where do you live? I don't think I'm doing anything monday, I can come play with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        it would be good to know what MS you are talking about..

You could use an idle valve like the stock M20s and M30s come with, either for warmup or closed loop.

as far as the TPS, the E36 TPS is an easy solution and only has 3 wires.

the WB is probably a miscalibration, or maybe it's not hooked up to the right pins. are you using tunerstudio or megatune?

Hey, It's MSExtra V2.2 Using tunerstudio.

I dont think it is hooked up to the wrong pin, because I bought the pre made wiring harness, that has the clearly labeled wire "o2 sensor"

Im trying to avoid using an idle control valve, cause then Ill have to solder a jumper in the MS box, and I dont have the know how to do that.

Will the e36 TPS hook up with the m30 throttle body?

Thanks!

Danny, I have School on monday, but tommorow (sunday), and this coming weekend Ill have some time to work on the car as well.
        [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Naw I'm not free Sunday. Superbowl lolwtf. When are you outta school?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            Naw I'm not free Sunday. Superbowl lolwtf. When are you outta school?

I get out at 5, but the car is in San Rafael anyway. so it's sort of a distance.
            [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
              Hey, It's MSExtra V2.2 Using tunerstudio.
              I'm sorry.. but it will work I guess.

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns
              I dont think it is hooked up to the wrong pin, because I bought the pre made wiring harness, that has the clearly labeled wire "o2 sensor"
              you'll need to figure out the calibration then. it could be the sensor you have is calibrated differently. can you reprogram it or are you stuck with whatever it gives you?

Im trying to avoid using an idle control valve, cause then Ill have to solder a jumper in the MS box, and I dont have the know how to do that.
              don't be scared of soldering. since you have MS you'll be learning it eventually anyway ;)
              Will the e36 TPS hook up with the m30 throttle body?

Thanks!
              it's just like the M20 throttle body. you need to make an adapter plate, which is really easy (1/4" flat peice of aluminum, drill some holes, etc). you should also grind a little off the end of the shaft that goes into the sensor, the E36 sensor is shallower and if you bottom it out you'll break it.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hey, my friend and me figured out the TPS and the 02 sensor issue today, we are now trying to adjust the idle. its kinda high now :(
                [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Have you tried playing around with the timing table to get it to idle?

You may want to try that. Make a peak and valley type of thing. I'm having a hard time explaining it but like set timing and 500 rpm to 12-13* set it to like 9-10* at 900-1000rpm the set it to 12-13* at 1400-1500 rpm.

It'll try to stay at that lower timing in the 900-1000 rpm area thus keeping the idle where it should be.
                  If in doubt... Flat out

Comment

Originally posted by Cronus View Post
                    Have you tried playing around with the timing table to get it to idle?

You may want to try that. Make a peak and valley type of thing. I'm having a hard time explaining it but like set timing and 500 rpm to 12-13* set it to like 9-10* at 900-1000rpm the set it to 12-13* at 1400-1500 rpm.

It'll try to stay at that lower timing in the 900-1000 rpm area thus keeping the idle where it should be.
                    Ill try that now.
                    [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Good: youtube video: Bad: gas pedal breaks while driving up the hill..
                      Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

couple other issues at hand:

Blow off valve isnt opening..

its set in the middle, Ill try loosening it up all the way next.

The turbo itself is acting really funny as well...
                      it doesnt start boosting until 3.5 K and never hits max boost. It just consistently climbs slowly till I shift. and the max I hit is about 11PSI, but I feel it would continue..

Im wondering if this is due to an internal wastegate failure, or something along those line..
                      [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Vacuum leaks?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                          Vacuum leaks?
                          I wouldnt doubt it. the Megasquirt lets me look at MAP so If there was a way to find out that way it would be great. When Manually holding the throttle to idle. (car wont idle on it's own). the map is at roughly 35 KPA. When I cause a vacuum leak, say by disconnecting the boost gauge. it goes to 70/80KPA, and the engine is also MUCH more responsive when I blip the throttle, however it doesnt hold idle ever....

Ill see if I skipped over anything....

P.S. anyone know how to install manual boost controllers, the one I got came with no directions...
                          [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
                            P.S. anyone know how to install manual boost controllers, the one I got came with no directions...
                            feed one end of the boost controller from the hot side of your turbo.

the otherside goes to the wastegate actuator.

edit: oh yeah, get on it EASY at first, because sometimes you can get the MBC backwards and it won't open(or it will be open all the time) Best to just do a few light pulls to make sure it's opening up.
                            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Im getting an External Flange mounted on the Side of my manifold one of these coming weekends, a buddy owes me a favor.

so Im getting rid of that Fubar internal one.
                              [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Working...
                              X