Spongy Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spongy Brakes

I did one track day last September and the brakes were fine. In November I decided to tackle the subframe. While I was there I decided to upgrade to SS lines as well from bimmerworld. I car sat on jacks for the about 8 months and I finally put everything back together this week.

I used the pump method with a help of a friend to bleed the brakes. I did 2 rounds of bleeding and it the pedal feels fine. However once I start driving it feels like I have to press it all the way down to get any sort of braking power. Even then it does not inspire confidence. This is driving in the small streets by the way. Is there air still in the system? When I bled it I didn't see any air bubbles coming out of the tubes anymore.

Could it be the master cylinder or air in the ABS system?

I did have some issues installing the rear soft lines on the subframe, it was leaking during the initial install, but I've tightened it down. There was a small wet spot on by the RTABs however i'm not certain if thats from fluid leaking out or from elsewhere. The threads on the connections are dry though. If there was a slight leak and sucking in air, wouldn't I see air bubbles come out when I'm bleeding it? The reservoir levels looks fine as well, but I only drove around the block a 3-4 times.

What does 2 rounds of bleeding mean? 2 pumps per wheel? Probably not enough.

Sounds like air bubbles in the system. Make sure everything is tight and you have no leaks, then bleed it again and make sure to push a lot of fluid through the system. You should go through at least a half a liter of fluid if not more.

Make sure you bleed from furthest from the reservoir to the nearest:
    Right Rear, Left Rear, Right front, Left Front.

Comment

Sorry by 2 rounds i meant 8-9 times of opening and closing the bleeder with 5-6 pumps inbetween opening and closing. I did each corner twice in the order you mentioned. I will try to bleed again tomorrow see if any improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Turns out I was just being paranoid. There's no leaks no air in system. My friend drove it around the block says it's fine. Probably just forgot how it feels to drive the car with stock pads. Also my friend lent me a 370z over the summer while I was working on the car, which probably contributed to why I thought my brakes felt soft on the e30.

Comment

Working...
        X