No announcement yet.

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used E36 tie rods on my car. The e30 ones don't fit the rack and the Z4 ones don't fit the car as I understand it.

Comment

Rus do you have a better pic of the work your mechanic did?
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

No unfortunately I did not get any progress pics and once installed it's hard to see (obscured by everything else in the engine compartment). You can see the part he shortened here though: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=32&fg=30

I think he cut away 3/4 of the sliding adjustment area.

Comment

Originally posted by russ in va View Post
          No unfortunately I did not get any progress pics and once installed it's hard to see (obscured by everything else in the engine compartment). You can see the part he shortened here though: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...82&hg=32&fg=30

I think he cut away 3/4 of the sliding adjustment area.
          E36 tie rods are the ones used. Z4 tie rods are too large to fit e30 hubs.

Yes; the sliding piece has some very interesting parts inside that we choose to omit- full race car

There are 4 -5 ball bearings on each side held in place by a plastic retaining clip; the shaft is designed to slide telescopically on these ball bearings.

We choose to weld it solid as there are voids and the BMW engineered design of the steering shaft is compromised when cut down drastically in length. Our team has a professional materials engineer on board as well; so we don't tread lightly on anything safety system related.

We had our machine shop weld steel rods into the ball bearing channel to fill the void and weld it all together. I did not feel that plastic retainers holding a bunch of balls are going to survive our race abuse; banging back and forth every single time you turn; I always turn in while braking as well so many more forces adding up.......caged car and body by Tc design......stiff and solid bushings/billet engine mounts.........basically NVH up the wazoo.
          I did not take any pictures or post details on purpose as this is a critical safety piece and I cannot be responsible for another's safety due to modifications.

We use this in a wheel to wheel endurance race car and your life is in danger every time you strap into that car and roll on track.

I'm not suggesting anyone improperly modify a steering part and take it on the street.

The most ideal solution would be to contact tiny tim and order a custom new piece made from flaming river u joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Wanganstyle; 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM.
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I want to revive this thread.

So. Z3 rack vs Z4 rack

-BOTH are linear?
            -Z3 less tuns to lock but Z4 has more travel?

Which is the faster rack? If you were to turn both racks one revolution, which would have traveled the farthest?
            = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

I believe these questions have all already been answered in this thread.

If not the bmw factory data published is avail online.

For bmw's:

Newer chassis= higher rack ratio number and more total angle.

If you have the budget and ability to fit a z4 rack; I don't see why a older z3 unit would be an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                The most ideal solution would be to contact tiny tim and order a custom new piece made from flaming river u joints.

Tapatalk

So how do I find Tiny Tim? Tried searching, no joy.

Comment

You have to tip-toe through the tulips to find him.

Comment

Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
                    Oh man you make me laugh so hard I about shit myself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
                      I don't own a ukulele.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
                        I want to revive this thread.

So. Z3 rack vs Z4 rack

-BOTH are linear?
                        -Z3 less tuns to lock but Z4 has more travel?

Which is the faster rack? If you were to turn both racks one revolution, which would have traveled the farthest?

Well I found one on ebay for $150 so it looks like that will be the route Im going.
                        = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by russ in va View Post
                          So how do I find Tiny Tim? Tried searching, no joy.

Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Does sliding e85 non M Z4 coupler look like that?

And one of these 2 grooves in the shaft filled with these ballbearings is sort of visible?
                            Last edited by raudonis; 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM.
                            My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
                              Does sliding e85 non M Z4 coupler look like that?

And one of these 2 grooves in the shaft filled with these ballbearings is sort of visible?
                              Looks just like e46 shaft; z4 is a e46 pretty much

There are about 5 ball bearings? I forgot ours has 0.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Wanganstyle; 02-17-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information on this. I picked up a Z4 manual rack and thought I would contribute a few measurements I took from it.

Travel: 144.6mm
                                L2L: 3.0 turns
                                Rack ratio: 48.2mm/revolution
                                Steering ratio: 14.5:1 (e36 uprights)

18.9mm shaft, 48 spline (could be one or two off here as it was a quick check and hard to keep count). Seems like it's probably 3/4"-48.
                                Last edited by mike156; 02-21-2014, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X