This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    well, its good to hear someone with that opinion. personally, i don't think there was a better styled bmw than the m3. i think the box fenders make the car look fast sitting still.
    I felt this way and bought one. One day I saw a dark gray 320is and realized my tastes had moved on. The M3 looks very much like a body kit to me now. Still love 'em, but prefer something a bit more sedate.

For actual driving, I have my sights set on building an easy M3 killer with arguably classier looks...Take any E30, stuff an S52 in it, add a factory MTech II kit. I would wind up with a car that was quieter, less noticeable on the highway, but way faster and cheaper. Kinda wish I'd bought that swapped gray example from a few months back. I'm all done with all-original, bone-stock examples that intend to actually drive.

Dunno if y'all have driven any modern BMWs, but I think E30 prices will go up forever...

Comment

It's a body kit until you actually see all the little differences between the car and the other E30's, then you appreciate what it is and why BMW built it. As someone who has an early euro 323 M tech 1, 325i turbo M tech 2 convertible and M3...I love them all. They are all E30's but very different cars. The early E30's are classy (especially with euro bumpers), later E30's are sporty and the M3 is the racecar. Although, technically the 2nd gen 3 series, the E30 really was the model that made the 3 series what it is and kept BMW on the map.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Tremelune View Post
        I felt this way and bought one. One day I saw a dark gray 320is and realized my tastes had moved on. The M3 looks very much like a body kit to me now. Still love 'em, but prefer something a bit more sedate.

For actual driving, I have my sights set on building an easy M3 killer with arguably classier looks...Take any E30, stuff an S52 in it, add a factory MTech II kit. I would wind up with a car that was quieter, less noticeable on the highway, but way faster and cheaper. Kinda wish I'd bought that swapped gray example from a few months back. I'm all done with all-original, bone-stock examples that intend to actually drive.

Dunno if y'all have driven any modern BMWs, but I think E30 prices will go up forever...
        back in 09 when i got in the e30 game, i kind of thought e30 m3's were some cheesy bullshit car. in those days, you could buy a good one for 10-12k. as time passed, my opinion has definitely changed 180 degrees. now days, i have the ups guy, the fedex guy, and the mail lady keeping their eye on people's open garages with a 500 dollar bounty.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

back in 09 when i got in the e30 game, i kind of thought e30 m3's were some cheesy bullshit car. in those days, you could buy a good one for 10-12k. as time passed, my opinion has definitely changed 180 degrees. now days, i have the ups guy, the fedex guy, and the mail lady keeping their eye on people's open garages with a 500 dollar bounty.
          This is brilliant.

Made a reminder for myself to do with with my shipping guys.
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

Haha that's a good one. I know where a random 323i Baur and 2 E30 M3 sleep. I left notes but the owners have yet to call me back. I drive by every so often to see if they've moved but they continue to sit. I met the owner of the Baur, a lady who wants to restore it one day but it's been sitting under a cover for years.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

And SOLD for $9800
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Funny, I look on my daily commutes and see only one Bronzit and that is being DD's and I don't want another bronzit.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

back in 09 when i got in the e30 game, i kind of thought e30 m3's were some cheesy bullshit car. in those days, you could buy a good one for 10-12k.
                  Incorrect. Unless these e30 M3's you found were parked behind a bakery.

Clean e30 M3's were never that cheap only non m versions were. I looked all over the US and Canada in the early 00's and the average price for clean e30 M3's back then was low -mid 20's.
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

In 2012 I had the chance to buy an M3 with a rebuilt 2.5 in it. It had slightly rough cosmetics and he wanted 12. I should've bought it
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yes, M3 in 2009 were that cheap. "Mint" is a relative word.

Go to S14.net and look at the classifieds. They are all dated.

Here is a few. I just looked at 2 pages and there were 300 pages that follow:

From the last link, the ad reads like this:

1989 E30 M3 For Sale, Northern Virginia
                      04-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Hey all, it is time for me to sell my E30.
                      114K miles, runs well.
                      Recently serviced by RRT in NoVa.
                      Pics available via email. Contact EightKm@gmail.com
                      Car has some bumps and bruises, but is is a blast and is a great driver.
                      Car is DiamondBlack.
                      I have extensive records.
                      $7500.00 Firm.

As biased as I am I think it is a steal.
                      Last edited by Javier h; 03-16-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

Clean e30 M3's were never that cheap only non m versions were. I looked all over the US and Canada in the early 00's and the average price for clean e30 M3's back then was low -mid 20's.
                        Early 2000's was way before they bottomed out.

Gotta look closer to 2010 for the really low prices.
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          In 2012 I had the chance to buy an M3 with a rebuilt 2.5 in it. It had slightly rough cosmetics and he wanted 12. I should've bought it
                          We've all been there ;) In '06 I had an opportunity to buy a Zinno with 53K on it for $15K.
                          I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

Incorrect. I almost bought a 80k mile m3 in 2006 for 10k
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                            :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                              Early 2000's was way before they bottomed out.

Gotta look closer to 2010 for the really low prices.
                              Wow, didnt' know that.

Up here they never went below 15k.
                              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

The rule of thumb with M3s when I started out with E30s (05-06) was that you were going to spend $15k regardless- whether that was the purchase price or what you had to spend to get it to be a nice car.
                                Last edited by jpod999; 03-20-2017, 09:50 AM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X