The Coming Automation Onslaught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Coming Automation Onslaught

34 office workers will be replaced by IBMs AI. The future is coming in at a crazy pace. Automated cars, automated office workers, automated car manufacturing...

It's going to be interesting how this turns out.
    AWD > RWD

For insurance, it's not particularly surprising. All that stuff is already determined on complex formulas derived by actuaries and computer models.

It will be interesting to see the wider reaching implications though.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Like you said in the other thread, everything is driven by cost. As such we should be safe until the initial cost of investment is low (like temp worker low) and long term reliability is high.

I'd figure on 10-20 years before it can really make a dent in the workforce.

Let's not forget that those of us from developed nations, when displaced by AI, will probably go work in less developed nations where two hands cannot as easily be replaced by a computer for the same reasons above.

Comment

it's good to be one of the guys writing the automation...
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Or just have a skill set that cant be replaced by automation. There has been quite a bit of automation developed in my industry, and yet they pay us MORE to run the more automated systems than using the old school analog manual methods
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            Or just have a skill set that cant be replaced by automation.
            Yet. The keyword is yet. Assuming a skill set can't be replaced is a really shortsighted thought pattern. Everything will eventually be replaced by automation. It's just a matter of time. Before you retire? Maybe not, but eventually. Hopefully we have solved the question of what do we do with our time by then.

My job, as a ui/ux designer, can eventually be replaced. Eventually there will be enough data about human thought patterns that optimal layout and placement of images, nav, text, etc, will be spit out by a computer, overlayed with a pleasing style of color and font choice. Is this going to happen tomorrow? No. 20 years? Maybe. Or in 20 years, maybe it won't be completely replaced but an automated alternative that is halfway decent will drive salaries down far enough that it won't be really profitable to be in this field anymore.

I can't speak too much about your job (since I don't know it too well) but what I do know I can theorize on. You drive to remote locations to check welds in pipes. A solar powered drone can also fly there, and with remote scanning, check the welds as well. Or an internal drone can drive down inside the pipes and check welds as they go. There's no reason that can't be done.

Those writing the automation software will probably be the last to go. But they'll go too when we reach the singularity.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Honestly, I imagine it will create a short period of time where people lose jobs.

On the other hand, it is a situation that will balance out. If you put enough people out of work, how will you sell your product that is now produced by computers?
              No E30 Club
              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Just how would such a scanning device work? Until we have developed star trek like sensors and devices. Yes there are already smart pigs that have a limited ability to nd anomalies welds. You still need human experience to interpret the results of the those tests. Most of the big transmission systems have plane or helo in the air flying over sections of the r.o.w every day, to cover the system in given time.
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  Those writing the automation software will probably be the last to go. But they'll go too when we reach the singularity.
                  when that happens, i will have earned my retirement :P
                  past:
                  1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                  1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                  1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                  1985 323i baur
                  current:
                  1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                    Just how would such a scanning device work? Until we have developed star trek like sensors and devices. Yes there are already smart pigs that have a limited ability to nd anomalies welds. You still need human experience to interpret the results of the those tests. Most of the big transmission systems have plane or helo in the air flying over sections of the r.o.w every day, to cover the system in given time.
                    what if there were drones that inspected the pipes from the inside? your questions are valid and some jobs will not be replaced by computers or robots.

we should be concerned at what happens when we can automate enough jobs to displace a significant enough portion of the working population.

Not everyone can be a camwhore for extra spending money lol

Comment

^ that's what a "pig" is - it's basically a robot that inspects the pipe from the inside. They've been used for years. But weld inspection isn't that easy.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

are they only used during construction or are they used at regular intervals to check for problems?

Comment

Thank you nando, there are smart tools that have a very limited ability for specific weld anomalies. Smart tools have been in use for a very long time, and areally costly,up wards of a million bucks a run in some cases. You still have to have a well seasoned and experienced person interpreting the data generated from those runs which is 99% looking for pipe wall anomalies and coating issues. And yes weld inspection is not that easy.

Smart tools are mostly used on integrity intervals for systems that are inservice. Yes a limited run is made after construction but looking dents mostly. During construction, or when doing dig ups for integrity work inspection is far more rigorous.

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                            are they only used during construction or are they used at regular intervals to check for problems?
                            They are used for maintenance / regular intervals. During construction, every weld would be NDT'd by an expert (radiographed, etc).
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

they say the next generation of aircraft will be pilotless or have a single pilot that babysits the computers in the event something goes wrong. i hope not to see this in my lifetime. since my son is studying to be a pilot also, i hope not to see it in his either. since he has 42 years before his hits retirement age, i would say it will be a problem for him.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                              X